Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 666 Palimpsest by Janet S. Tiger Dec. 9, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 650!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 666 Palimpsest by Janet S. Tiger Dec. 9, 2015
                                       
 For other monologues from Caregivers Anonymous, please see Days # 268, 270, 271, 273, 284, 285, 286, 314, 317, 380, 412, 444, 454, 455, 456, 473, 474, 475, 476, 483, 484, 513, 514, 566, 569, 666, 692, 702

                                    Palimpsest

                                    (for Caregivers Anonymous)
               ©Janet S. Tiger 
          all rights reserved 2015
                                tigerteam1@gmail.com

           (The well-dressed woman comes up to the wheelchair and does not sit in it.  Instead, she touches the wheels and then spins it around)

I look at this chair and I think of something so strange, I am almost embarrassed to mention it.  I don't know if any of you remember that in my days before caregiving, I was a researcher, at the natural history museum, and I was in charge of all new acquisitions.  (sighs)  I enjoyed that......(Remembering)  Sometimes we got in what is known as a....always loved this word!....a palimpsest.


Now that's just a fancy word for a piece of parchment where the writing has been scraped away so something new can be written on it.  I actually was fascinated by these...palimpsests......because they were mysteries.  What was beneath?  Could it still be seen?  By the new scientific methods, a lot can be revealed.....my favorites were the brass pages.....scraped clean....so that they could be re-engraved...


         (She runs her hand over the wheelchair)


Sometimes I wonder about what is being left behind by my husband and me on our walks....now with him in his wheelchair.....the Huntington's is advanced now, Brian can't speak anymore, but he likes walks.  And each one leaves scratches on the wheels.  The wheels, the rubber, the spokes.....dust hits and makes its mark....we roll over a stone and it bounces up and dings the metal......


And I wonder if this wheelchair could be scraped down, and if, once scraped down, someone, in a thousand years, could determine that I walked with him in it......and where we went.  


Even though I had to retire.- because I was so interested, I've kept studying, and I found that the lovely word palimpsest had other definitions.......


         (She takes out a paper and reads from it)


'In planetary astronomy, ancient craters on icy moons whose relief has mostly disappeared, leaving behind only a trace of a rim....are also known as....my favorite word!  .....palimpsests!.....or ghost craters.....'


(Sad)  Well, my relief has mostly disappeared, leaving behind only a trace......a.ghost crater.....Brian is a ghost of what he was.....and I......crate him around.......


         (The others laugh and applaud as she sits.  End of scene)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: