Friday, December 4, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 661 Stand Up (part 2) by Janet S. Tiger Dec. 4, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 600!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 661 Stand Up (part 2) by Janet S. Tiger Dec. 4, 2015

           This is the monologue that responds to yesterday's piece.  The entire scene is below

                                    Stand Up (part two)
                                       by  Janet S. Tiger    
                                © 2015  all rights reserved 
                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

1973 dress     (Her mother, mid 40s, dressed for a trip, puts up her hand and the daughter is quiet)

MOTHER - (Loud)  You talk about turns, well, you had your turn to speak, now it's mine.  Your wonderful words helped me make a choice that looked difficult into one that is actually very easy.

Now I may have regretted some things.in my life...like that purse last year that fell apart after one month.....or trying to wear those high heels on the beach!  But many years ago, I made a choice....to marry your father. I have never regretted that choice, not for one single moment in my life.

And now, with your words so very clear in my head, I realized.....tonight I have to make the same decision.  Which is more important?  A 3 day trip to Washington for a convention - or my marriage of over twenty-five years?  When I hear it in simple terms, it is actually a very simple decision to make - the same one I made all those years ago.


I still love your father. Yes, he is annoying, he is sure he's always right and he is as stubborn as an Archie Bunker mule!  But...he is still a good man....and I think we can work out our issues - and if he is successful in getting to be nominated for governor, I will still be getting a trip to Washington - and perhaps a bigger chance to change things that need to change.

So.....for now, I choose to compromise......because I have found that politically, it is a very useful tactic that....over time......has served me very well......

Now for you dear girl, I am offering you my seat at the table of the future.....you are going to take my place at the convention...

        (She holds out the tickets to her daughter who stares at them in amazement)

You are the future..... .....marry, not marry, have children, I hope.....or not, these will be your choices......and you have the chance to choose......and the chance to change the future.......I hope, no, I know you will choose wisely, because that's what you have been taught in this home.....

        (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And I'm glad I taught you to pack quickly - because the car will wait for you - but the plane won't!

        (End of monologue)

------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire scene is below with yesterday's monologue first, and additional dialogue for bridging


  (The woman is in her 40s, circa 1973, and is dressed very well, prepared for some kind of trip, seen by the hand luggage she carries with her.)

           (She listens)

MOTHER - Yes, I heard you......(trying not to show the upset) if I go to this convention, you, my faithful husband of almost 30 years.....will not be here in our home when I return.  It was very clear.  The legal degree I helped you get has made your verbiage very accurate.  Thank you....I think.

           (Her daughter has overheard this conversation and is very upset)

DAUGHTER - Mom, are you kidding me?  Where do we go from here?  Did you understand what he said....what he's asking you?  This is exactly what I've been talking about for years!  Dad is trying to control you....and if you stay home now, he wins!  Didn't anything in the meetings get through that hairspray you use around your brain?

Do I need to get a jackhammer to drill through all the layers of oppression you have circled yourself with?  I mean.....who do you think you are?  Edith Bunker?

And even she stands up to Archie sometimes!  This is a textbook case of why every woman should be able to control her own life.....not have her father, or a brother....or a husband tell her what to do...no....DEMAND that she do his bidding!

This is 1973, and if you aren't going to fight back now, you'd better give up, because you will have chosen to turn back the clocks a hundred years, back to when women were just chattel, back to when we didn't have a vote....back to a time when you HAD to take his name when you married......come on, Mom!  Are you even listening to me?

         (She goes to her mother and holds her arms, looking into her eyes)

More important....are you listening....to you?

      (Her mother takes her arms and they look deeply at each other, then the mother breaks away)

MOTHER-  Thank you, dear, for helping make one of the most difficult decisions of my life.

       (The mother turns to walk out the door, and her daughter runs to get the suitcase)

DAUGHTER-  Mom!  Don't forget this!

MOTHER - I haven't forgotten anything.....

DAUGHTER-  But you love to have fresh underwear!

MOTHER - Yes, I do.....but I have plenty in my dresser....

DAUGHTER - (Not understanding)....But.....

MOTHER-  I don't need the suitcase to go outside and let the driver know I've changed my mind.....

DAUGHTER- Changed your mind?

MOTHER - And I will not be attending the convention.....and then I'll call Adele.....

DAUGHTER -- But...Mom.....

         (Her mother puts up her hand and the daughter is quiet)

MOTHER - (Loud)  You talk about turns, well, you had your turn to speak, now it's mine.  Your wonderful words helped me make a choice that looked difficult into one that is actually very easy.

Now I may have regretted some things.in my life...like that purse last year that fell apart after one month.....or trying to wear those high heels on the beach!  Many years ago, I made a choice....to marry your father. I have never regretted that choice, not for one single moment in my life.

And now, with your words so very clear in my head, I realized.....tonight I have to make the same decision.  Which is more important?  A 3 day trip to Washington for a convention - or my marriage of over twenty-five years?  When I hear it in simple terms, it is actually a very simple decision to make - the same one I made all those years ago.

I still love your father. Yes, he is annoying, he is sure he's always right and he is as stubborn as an Archie Bunker mule!  But...he is still a good man....and I think we can work out our issues - and if he is successful in getting to be nominated for governor, I will still be getting a trip to Washington - and perhaps a bigger chance to change things that need to change.

So.....for now, I choose to compromise......because I have found that politically, it is a very useful tactic that....over time......has served me very well......


Now for you dear girl, I am offering you my seat at the table of the future.....you are going to take my place at the convention...

          (Her daughter looks at her stunned.  She holds out the tickets to  Shelley who stares at them in amazement)

LAURA -You are the future..... .....marry, not marry, have children, I hope you have, but whatever you choose..... these will be your choices......and you have the chance to choose......and the chance to change the future.......I hope, no, I have faith you will choose wisely, because that's what you have been taught in this home.....

SHELLEY- (Very touched) Mom, I don't know what to say...

MOM - Not a lot, because you will only have a few minutes to pack!  The car is waiting, but the plane won't!

SHELLEY-  But what if they won't accept me as your replacement!  What if they try to make me pay for all these expenses......I mean, this is a first class ticket!

HENRY -  Don't worry about that now.....we'll cover it.

SHELLEY -  (Amazed) Are you sure, Dad?

HENRY -  Look, we may be on opposite sides of the fence, politically, but I have always believed that a good fence has a gate......so neighbors can get together.....and.....

         (He looks at his wife)

HENRY- and......(hard for him to say) ....compromise.....

            (Shelley hugs her parents and exits to pack.  Fade out) 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8