Monday, December 14, 2015

Monologue Mania Day # 671 No Egrets by Janet S. Tiger Dec. 14, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 650!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 671  No Egrets by Janet S. Tiger Dec. 14, 2015
           
                                 No Egrets
                                       by  Janet S. Tiger    
                                © 2015  all rights reserved 
                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com


         (This is a force to be reckoned with, a woman in her forties, good-looking, strong.  She is watching the other women at a 1970s NOW meeting and nodding)

Thank you for sharing that amazing story of yours with all of us....I know it couldn't have been easy.  Oh, how I remember being the new one!  The excitement, the touch of fear that goads you on to stay, and talk......

       (Listens, laughs)

All right, my turn to share!    When I was little, my father used to tell me about his father, who was a milliner, who made fancy hats for very rich people around the turn of the century.

Some of the hats he made were worn by Rockefellers and were photographed and shown in newspapers and magazines.  He had some of the articles and I loved the pictures....the hats were beautiful..... the women wearing the hats were beautiful, it was like a fairy tale!  But as I got older, my father told me more about the industry..... that millions of birds were killed to make the hats and I remember...I started to cry.

He looked at me, and said that I would happy to know others cried.....and that because people cared, laws were passed making it illegal to kill the birds.....so that birds of paradise and hummingbirds...and herons and egrets..... would not become extinct.

That's when I knew what my life would be.....that I would help others who needed help.  Animals, people.....I've spent my whole life doing just that.....

Why did I get involved with NOW?  Because I see a lot of similarities between the birds and we as women.

The hats were beautiful....because the birds' feathers were beautiful.......but their beauty brought their own death.  We cannot let our being women, being beautiful in all our different ways cause us to forget that other women are not free.  That we are barely free......we haven't even had the vote for very long!  And we have a constitutional amendment for equal rights that has not been passed!

So we have to keep up!  We have to keep fighting!  Until all the rights we deserve are ours.....and we can enjoy them without guilt.....and we can truly fly without fear......thank you, Erica!

Perhaps I've worked too hard for this, perhaps I've given up on having a family....not men, just a family!.....but I have no regrets..or as we said in our family....no egrets.!

       (The others applaud as she spreads her arms and 'flies' offstage)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erica Jong's book FEAR OF FLYING was first published in 1973 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_Flying_(novel)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: