Friday, September 18, 2015

Monologue Mania Day #583 Lies (the Rabbi's Mother) by Janet S. Tiger Sept. 18, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 565!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #583 Lies (the Rabbi's Mother)  by Janet S. Tiger  Sept. 18, 2015

           This monologue is designed to work with tomorrow's monologue as a duo - but each will stand alone.

                                                 Lies
                                     (The Rabbi's mother)
                                 A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   
                                     © all rights reserved

        (The older woman enters, this is the mother of the rabbi from Day # 582, dressed in the style of the 30s-40s, moving slowly, she is not well.  Eastern European accent)


Thank you, Mona, for coming over.....I have a big favor to ask you.....have a seat, I'll get the girl to bring some coffee and pastry.....fresh from that new bakery....still good and maybe even warm!

(Sighs)  I'm tired. 

          (Waves her hand)

Don't worry about me....I'm not afraid.  It's my time soon.....I just....want to ....how can I tell you?  It's about a lie.  No, not a lie I told......

My son lied to me....he is lying to me every day.....

How do I know?  I know.

He told me that his brother, David.....you know the one who went to Israel......he tells me David is alive......when I know.....David is dead......

         (Puts up both hands)

You know what I mean!  David is dead for many years now....five I think.  How do I know that?  You have children, Mona, you know there is a fine string from our hearts to their heart.....and when that string breaks, you know.......I may not know the details, maybe I never want to know them....but one night, just before my son left for California to see David, I woke in a flash......and I knew I would never see David again.

My boy is a good boy, he sends me letters and checks....forgeries...all supposedly from David......and I know it's all a lie.....and by having to pretend he's still alive, by not having to grieve......I suppose I could not get depressed like when Yossel died....so I continue to pretend one day I will see him again.....and now I know that time is near.....

          (Listens)

What do I want you to say?  I want you to tell me if I should let him know....that I know.  So that the burden will be off his shoulders.......

This will be my last big decision before I die.........to tell or not to tell.....

         (She turns to look at the rabbi on the other side of the stage)

Except for the other big decision.....what I am wearing to my own funeral?

         (She laughs as the lights freeze on her.  End of scene)

--------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8