Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Monologue Mania Day #839 Out of the Box by Janet S. Tiger (c) May 31, 2016


Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
            first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!           *********                                                        
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                                              day, click here  There are now over 830!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #839 by Janet S. Tiger (c) May 31,  2016
                               Out of the Box
                                    (from the one-act)
                                     by Janet S. Tiger 
                                       (c) May 22, 2016     all rights reserved
                                                tigerteam1@gmail.com
        (A nice-looking woman in her forties pushes a coffin onstage.  She places it carefully in the center, adjusting it to be straight.  She opens the lid,  fixing hair, clothing, then closes the lid again)

Amazing.....no matter how many times I do this.....it's still almost....mystical.

        (She turns to look at a painting on the wall)

You told me how it would be like this, Daddy, but somehow, I figured you were wrong.  You were always wrong....because I was young.....and parents, well, you and mom thought you knew everything, and I knew you were wrong......except it turns out by a small twist....you were right.

I do still love this......and all the smells, and the sounds, and helping people when it is just an awful time for them.

          (She  turns back to the coffin, runs her hand over the wood)

And, boy, this is tough to admit.....but you were right about Brian.  I thought.....when you told me he wasn't right for me.....that it was because you didn't want me to be happy.  But now I know.....you did.  
Funny how when people die, there's a big change.  But a divorce, that's maybe even bigger in some ways, because it takes longer, and there's always the chance....(sighs).....for a reconciliation.  In death, no one comes back....except maybe Jesus and I don't think his family would use our mortuary.

But when a marriage is truly over....dead.....we should have a coffin....or ceremony of some kind.  There really should be one, I think.  

           (She now hugs the coffin)

All the problems, all the issues....from staying here in this town, having this business...raising the kids to do this job......he never would deal with it.....he was like.....an ostrich!  (Laughs)  My own personal ostrich!

         (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)

I guess, in some ways......the coffin......the ostrich......both end up buried.....in the sands of time!

         (She shakes her head, turns off the light, exits.  Lights down.  End of scene)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

--------------------------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.  

No comments: