Friday, January 22, 2016

Monologue Mania Day # 710 Squashed (revised) by Janet S. Tiger Jan. 22, 2016

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 700!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 710 Squashed (revised) by Janet S. Tiger Jan. 22, 2016
         
            This monologue was originally posted on March 1, 2014  Day #17 

                            Squashed 
 (c)
                                 by Janet S. Tiger  © all rights reserved                                                                                    tigerteam1@gmail.com

            (An older man comes out onstage, he is dressed neatly, and he is holding a             check, which he looks at closely, sighing deeply.)

Thank you.  This will help.  

            (He now takes an envelope from his pocket and puts the check into it and             seals it.)

There, would you please make sure this is mailed?

            (Listens) 

Why?  Why can’t I give it to her myself?  I thought this was obvious.  You are going to take my car, for which you have paid me the grand sum of $1000, and you are going to ....(swallows hard).....squash it like a bug.

(Almost robotic)  They are not going to take out any of the usable parts, not the engine, which, although it needs some work, is still strong, still able to climb hills, and they will not take the tires, which are good for at least another 10,000 miles, and they will not take all the body parts, which are in good shape for a car this age, because, until recently, it was garaged, and well taken care of…..they will squash it…(with disgust)  …like a bug……

            (He takes out a Kleenex and blows his nose, now he is starting to be very             affected)

My dear 1976 Cadillac Coupe de Ville….a car that I have owned for over 30 years, and have loved as if it was a member of my family……a car that I took my babies home from the hospital, that I took my children to school in, (very emotional) that we took wonderful vacations in, that I went to the smog station in – (loud) and where they told me they could no longer smog it ……(very angry)  ….unless I spent $10,000 ….(yelling)  which I do not have!

My life is over!  Since I lost my job, I have no money at all – the unemployment ran out and I have five years to go before I get Social Security!  I have looked for work, but for some reason, no one wants a 60 year old man who has not worked in three years and has no car to get to work in!  

            (Takes a deep breath)

So, if you are wondering what I am going to do…..I will tell you what I am going to do........I am going to get into that car ,,,,,,,,and you are going to squash me with it!  (Quietly)  Just like a bug.

            (He turns and walks off.  The end)
-------------------------------------------------------------



Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

No comments: