Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Monologue Mania Day # 694 Your Imminence by Janet S. Tiger Jan. 6, 2016

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day- for a whole year-and still going!
                                                                    first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 13, 2015
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.


If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues-
     

     For a list of the titles and blurbs from each day, 
click here  There are now over 680!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com

 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
            How to Write a Monologue in 10 Easy Lessons (Well, maybe not so easy)
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 694 Your Imminence by Janet S. Tiger Jan. 6, 2016

                               Your Imminence
                                     ©Janet S. Tiger all rights reserved Jan. 6, 2016
                                                  tigerteam1@gmail.com

              (Actor is sitting at a table drinking coffee, reading a newspaper/looking at phone maybe doing both at once.  What happens next happens in slow motion.  The person sees something horrible about to happen.....mouth opens in terror.......gasps........hands go over head to protect and then a screeching is heard- if not possible with sound effects, then with the look on the face- and then.....back to real time movement. The person watches as something goes by, starts shaking, takes a swig of the coffee, stands)

Did you see that?  I mean...did you see that?  That car was coming right at us!  I mean, it almost hit us.....it was going about a million miles an hour!  And the speed limit in this parking lot is only 5 miles per hour, so they really were overdoing it, you know?

And I thought I was gonna die!  I mean, there wasn't any time to get out of the way!  And it was as if everything was in slow motion......

             (Relives the moment)

And I...I....realized something that I never thought about before.....that every moment.....is just like that moment....that at any time......

             (Picks up the phone)

You can get a call and .....you find out something amazing....that someone you know is coming to town, or just got a new job.....or got sick....or died.......or when some crazy driver is gonna hit that gas pedal and zoom at you, and not turn in time.....and ...you're dead...or.....they turn just in the nick of time.....and it becomes a story that you tell your friends at a Toastmaster meeting.....

But you never know when that moment is gonna be......never.

Maybe you can wait for it, but that doesn't help, because.....you just never know........and that's why, that sunny day, when I was just sitting, minding my own business......when the car almost hit me…..in that moment that was frozen in time…...I decided to quit my job and never waste another minute being mad because I was in a job I hated....or dating someone I really didn't like that much....or just doing things that I would have been mad about if the car had killed me that day because I would have been wasting my time.....

And....I started looking for a better job and - as all of you here know -I found one.  And I found a special person to share my life.....and I learned the secret to being happy.....

         (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

Never drink your coffee where a car can hit you!

         (He exits, laughing, to a better coffee shop.)
-------------------------------------------------------------


Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

Fantastic. Should be required reading!