Monday, August 21, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1284 Reali-tea(for Book of Teas)by Janet S. Tiger (c) Aug. 20, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1260!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1284 Reali -tea (for Book of Teas)by Janet S. Tiger (c) Aug. 20, 2017        

        Some nice news - The Newest Oldest - a one-act of mine - just got Second Place in the 2017 Script Tease of   New Plays.  The winners will be read in September -will post more info when I have it.

                                                               Reali- tea                                                       (for Book of Teas)(c) Aug. 20, 2017                                       
                                               by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved 
                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com

          (The actress from Book of Teas comes out, she still has a Southern accent)

Just heard you had a death in the family.   I'm sorry for your loss......maybe I shouldn't have said it so accurately.....I know it's more polite to use the other words.... they passed.....are no longer with us....gone to a better place....all the expressions that do not deal directly with the actual reality of death.

Now there is a tea for you...... Reali...tea.  Not all it's cracked up to be...... 

My grandfather is the one who taught me not to be afraid of death.  It was after a friend died.  A boy in my school that I had a crush on.....it was a strange death...his family was on vacation and the hotel had a fire........it was in the papers, and I remember thinking, how awful to be in a building that tall,,,,how do you escape?

And he didn't.  His parents died, and he died, and his baby sister lived.....and when we went back to school after the Easter vacation, that's all we talked about, but I couldn't believe it.....I had never told him I liked him....he was nice....very cute....

       (She sighs heavily)

My grandfather heard I was quieter than usual, and he came over and he knew.  Just by lookin at me, he knew......But he taught me somethin............. nothing is ever gone from the physical world, he said, so don't you worry so much.

He took a pack of seeds outta his pocket.   (His voice)  It starts with a seed....and it's planted and that grows into a plant that produces food....like a tomato.....and you eat that tomato..... and....he was pretty graphic here........ it goes through the system ....through your stomach.....and comes back out ....you know how that works?

And even though I was sad, I was still young enough to giggle about poop.  He knew I would, and maybe he did it to make me smile......(his voice)  And then, that poop goes into the ground makes another seed grow.  Nothin is evah lost......it's always there so it's not that the person is gone.

It's more like the person is there, but...  maybe you don't realize it........ kind of like when you lose something and you know it's still in your room but you can't find it and after a while you don't worry about it anymore. Because you can still feel it nearby......

Now, other folks talk about the spirit, and the soul, and in church and of course, Jesus, but grandfather's practical talks about what you can touch even if you can't touch it ....well, I did feel better.  When you can smile through tears, that's what makes reali-tea......so salty......

         (Lights down, end of scene)

----------------------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8