Monday, January 12, 2015

Monologue Mania Day# 334 by Janet S. Tiger Footsteps Jan. 12, 2015

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day# 334 by Janet S. Tiger Footsteps Jan. 12, 2015

                Parental Alert - Strong language

                                                    Footsteps

                                    ©Janet S. Tiger all rights reserved 2015
                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com          



          ( We hear breathing and footsteps before we see the man, but we can tell he is frightened, so when we see him, it is not surprising that he is looking around, listening. Any accent will work, but this was originally written for a British accent.)

I hate the fog, I just wish it would rain.  The rain is something you can see, you can touch, this damn fog, it's like a ghost.....

          (He waves his hands through the air, then holds his arms against himself, hugging his sides.)

I mean, it's not even cold and I'm shivering.....

          (He tries to light a cigarette, it's too damp, so he takes a couple of steps, then stops, jumps, very nervous)

Is someone there?  I can hear you......

           (Starts walking slowly)

I know you've been following me......I can hear your damned footsteps ......

            (He starts walking faster, stops suddenly, pulls out a gun and points it into the fog)

There!  I heard you!  Come out!  (Yells)  I said come out and show yourself!

           (Listens, shaking with anger)

Think you can scare me?  You can't!  I ain't afraid of you, whoever you are!  You're a coward, hiding in the shadows!  Come out like a man!

            (Whirls around, still holding the gun.  Starts walking, faster now, turns to listen for the steps, starts to run, really scared, picks up speed, stops suddenly, on knees stops breathing to listen)

Wait a minute....

            (He takes a step, listens, takes a few more steps, stops, listens, starts to smile, then walks quickly, runs and stops, listens and laughs, then puts the gun away)

There's no one there!  I can't believe it!  It's my own damned footsteps.....I'm fuckin scared of myself!

            (He walks, stops, smiles, shakes his head)

It's the fog!  I remember somethin' in school, somethin' about sound is different....(thinking)... under water.....and in the fog!

             (Leans his head back and laughs)

Amazing!  I almost scared myself to death!

             (He does a couple of steps, then listens)

That's it....the water in the air does somethin' and you hear it twice, I guess......so you think you're bein' followed.....but this time I'm in the clear....it's just the fog.....

There's nothing there......my dad said, don't be afraid of the dark, ain't nothing there that ain't there in the light......

             (He starts to exit, hears a noise, stops, looks back, maybe not so sure......)

Nah.......

              (But this time, he holds onto the gun as he exits....into the fog.....then we hear a sound.....a scream......and a thud.......then no more footsteps)

            The end.
          

------------------------------------------------

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8





No comments: