Friday, April 28, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1170 For A Good Time....Call by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 28 , 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1150!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1170 For A Good Time....Call  by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 28 , 2017                   
                                       For A Good Time.... Call


                    ©Janet S. Tiger 2017 all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com                     


          (The woman enters with a cell phone)

Good talking to you, too.......is it 40 years?  No.....43, well that's better!

When I was...younger....I used to go to dances.  I don't know if young people go to dances any more, but I did.  And I had fun, and met a lot of nice young men.

And I would give out my phone number - because in those days, that was what you did.

So I would get phone calls from these young men, and of course, I could not remember who they were.  Now because I got these calls, and made many friends, I did not really notice that I was getting more calls than usual, and the calls were a bit....how can put it, different?

Whereas young men who met me at dances would remind me of how we'd met, but now, when some called, the meeting point was vague.  What I looked like was more important, somehow, and this was annoying.  Did they get so many phone numbers they forgot which girls went with which phone numbers?

Then a guy called, and was very evasive, and I decided to be blunt.  'Where did we meet?'  He hemmed and hawed and said we hadn't met in person.  So where had he gotten my number?  From a friend?  Not exactly.  What does that mean?  I finally got it out of him in a question that was meant as a joke.  Was it on a bathroom wall?  Well, yes.

I was stunned.  What did that mean?  I mean, I know what it meant, but who would do that?  I thought I was a bit more discrete, had better taste than to choose dates who would do that!  Maybe I was wrong.....with a few more questions, I squeezed out the location - a place I frequented with friends, a place by the water, with boats to rent, and a nice restaurant, and public toilets!

Even though I was tempted to meet this one, my friends convinced me to avoid any guy who would meet a girl through a bathroom door.  (I have always wondered if they were right, considering who they all ended up marrying)

But I went to the bathroom with one of my friends - she watched while I snuck into the men's room and.....found the notice!  On a prominent wall, no less - and since the whole thing was carved into the wood, I took a pen and I changed the name and phone number - sorry whoever got called next!

The calls stopped instantly - and after a few days, I wondered if I missed them.  Another friend suggested I could always go back and put my name up again.

Such good friends!  Like you, dear, you were with me that day in the bathroom.  It was years before I realized something - when I first went in to look for my name, I couldn't find it.  You were the one who suggested I look by the toilet paper roll.  How would you have known that?  Unless, of course, you put it there.

         (Listens)

How long have I known?

Does it matter?  We call each other every day now, still friends after all these years, so.....I guess you can still say.....for a good time....call me.

          (Exits.  End of scene)


----------------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: