Sunday, April 16, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1159 The Missing Element (for Osculation) by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 16 , 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1150!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1159 The Missing Element (for Osculation) by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 16 , 2017               
           (This scene is at the beginning of the play, not sure exactly where, but it will fit eventually!  Other scenes from this play are on these days - Days # 308,396, 470, 490, 698, 750, 804, 817,825, 1060, 1100, 1133, 1146, 1150, 1151, 1153 and today 1159)
                                       The Missing Element
                                                                          (for Osculation)by Janet S. Tiger  
                                                                           (c) 2017 all rights reserved
                                                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com

            (Scene opens with audible on Ariana saying the final elements of the periodic table, 
lights coming up as she is almost done)

ARIANA - (like a robot) Number 108  Hassium  Symbol Hs  Atomic wt.  277 discovered 1984 and 
number 109 Meitnerium  Symbol Mt  Atomic wt. 268   discovered 1982.  The end. Until they 
discover another one.  

ISAAC -  (Impressed)  Very good!  You have an amazing memory, Ariana.

ARIANA -  The fact none of these mean anything to me means nothing to you, does it?

ISAAC -  Look, we only have a couple of weeks here, and you can't learn everything, but the memory 
stuff, that helps - a lot.  You got through some impressive lists here.  Periodic Table......

ARIANA - Let's not forget the subcategories....

ISAAC -  And you did the phylogenetic tree.....and the hierrarchy of all the classifications ....

ARIANA -  (Smiling) Did you know phylum comes from 'tribe'....... I like biology.....

ISAAC -  (Uncomfortable)  Now, if you can remember them for the decathalon, we have a chance.

ARIANA -  Don't worry, I can remember.  What level of chance are we talking here?

ISAAC -  Well, from what I've studied, the test has a certain percentage of questions involving rote
memorization - like this chart.  Then there's the math, which, I do pretty well in, and then the history 
and English, where your memory really helps, so together, we have a strong team.  Our weaknesses and 
strengths complement each other.

ARIANA - So you're giving me a compliment?

ISAAC -  Somehow you manage to twist everything I say...how do you do that?

ARIANA -  Are you saying I'm twisted?

ISAAC -  Speaking of twisted, I saw you talking with that guy Carson.....

ARIANA -  So you've been stalking me?

ISAAC -  (Too quick)  No!  I mean, I happened to notice, that's all....

ARIANA -  He seems like a smart guy.

ISAAC -  Oh, he's smart all right.  Too smart.  Be careful with him.

ARIANA - Do you have a problem with me talking to other guys?

ISAAC -  (Too quick)  No!  I mean, maybe that guy, he's.....I don't know....weird.

ARIANA -  Now that's a helpful evaluation.   Any specifics?  I mean, is he weird sleeps in a Bugs Bunny
costume or weird puts cameras in the girls bathroom weird...i mean, how do you know he's weird?
Are you a friend of his?

ISAAC -  No....

ARIANA -  An enemy?

ISAAC -  I don't know him that well....I just have a...a bad feeling about him.

ARIANA -  Well, thank you Sir Isaac Galahad Newton for wanting to defend me from weird guys
you have a bad feeling about!

ISAAC -  Look, I just mean...

ARIANA -  Do you have a feeling about me?  Good feeling....bad feeling?

ISAAC - (Embarassed)  Uh...uh....

ARIANA -  So eloquent!

ISAAC -  I don't have a bad feeling about you....I have a ....I don't know, talking about him makes me
feel...uncomfortable.

ARIANA -  I think talking about any kind of feeling makes you feel uncomfortable......
Well here's something to think about.....there's a missing element on the Periodic Table.....

ISAAC -  (Glad to talk about science)  Oh, there are a lot, and they find them often, the empty spots are
where the missing elements will go in the.....

ARIANA -  Oh, no, not those ....this element is already there, but you can't see it, even though it's right
in front of your face......

            (The bell rings and she turns to leave, looks back)

ARIANA -  It's the element of....surprise......

            (She kisses him and leaves quickly, he is stunned.  End of scene)


----------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table
http://www.science.co.il/elements/
----------------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: