Thursday, April 13, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1156 Apology by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 13, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1150!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1156 Apology  by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 13, 2017                      
                                        Apology
                                                         by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2017 all rights reserved
                                                                  tigerteam1@gmail.com

          (Actress comes out, she is penitent, ok, you caught me.....it is the playwright again.  This is a very personal piece, please do not judge too harshly....ok, go ahead laugh at the crazy person)

I want to apologize to all the bugs.....now for some who have read this blog (or know me for awhile) know my previous rant against moths.  (See End of the Moth Wars for more insight into my strange obsession)

On the positive side of being friendly to all living things, you might also know that I love spiders.

With this background, this leads me to the present.

Although I have always hated moths - incidentally, I am not alone, as my husband calls them 'flying dirt' - recently, something in me has changed.

I can't recall when it happened.  Like the ocean wearing away stones on the beach, it started gradually until one day, I realized.....I did not hate the moths.  I just hated them... in my house.

Whereas I used to revel in their murder - (again, see Moth Wars)- now when I have to kill them, I am..........sad.

It feels bad to kill them.

Now, please understand, I always hated killing spiders - they are useful in the murder of other annoying insects and quite beautiful in their hardworking long-legged shells.

But moths, no problem swatting and squashing and squishing and putting out moth traps that caught them in goo while they slowly flapped and starved themselves to death.

That frightened me a little - it seemed like torture.  Well, it is torture.  And I found a sadness creeping in when I took the life of these annoying beasts.  After all, they did not get born with the express intent of irritating me.  (My sister would disagree but she hates spiders, so we disagree on many things)

Perhaps as I am no longer able to give birth (that ship sailed a few years back) I am appreciating life in a different way.  I watch the bugs struggle to stay alive after I swat them.  Where does that incredible power come from- that desire to...live?  And why do some people, in their prime, choose to give up their lives?  The mystery is baffling, yet, with some friends and family members who have scaled the walls of this village, I am now closer to understanding in a tiny way.

But I can still marvel at the moths swooping and swirling to avoid my hands, my swatter, my newspaper......and they usually lose.  But even after hit, their little wings beat for a moment, trying to escape, trying to live as I wash them down the sink.

It is a stunning fight - and I am impressed.  It gives me a kind of strength to carry on when things get tough.  A kind of kinship with lost causes, a sense of.....if they can fight on, so can I!

        (The actress turns to leave, but surprisingly enough, stops and looks back)

Now flies and mosquitos......still no problem killing them......

        (She exits, now brandishing a flyswatter.  Definitely the end for those flies and mosquitos, but in memorium for the moths.....)



----------------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: