Thursday, April 20, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1163 The Stand-in by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 20 , 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1150!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1163 The Stand-in by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 20 , 2017                   
                From a movie/play still floating in my brain

                                                The Stand -In

                                                   (Not) a monologue by
                    ©Janet S. Tiger all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com                     

   
         (Two women are in the room. Both have similar features - same height, weight, but otherwise very different personalities. Ginger Fox is an actress, and Violet Burnside is a writer, more quiet, reserved.  She is explaining the idea to Ginger, who is a bit stunned.)

GINGER -  Let me understand this.....whew, I could really use a drink now.

VIOLET -  Would you like some water, or coffee, or juice?

GINGER -  No, I said....a 'drink'- as in, something to kind of settle nerves that do not quite get this whole very strange proposition of yours!

VIOLET -  First of all, perhaps I did not explain clearly, this is not a proposition, it is a job offer, and as an actress, I would think, a very good opportunity to allow you to use all your talents.

GINGER -  Okay, I don't know what plays you ever went to, but, here's the 411 - in a play, after the play is over, you take off your make-up and go home and you get to ...be yourself.

VIOLET -  That would be fine in the hotel rooms.  You could meet reporters in a restaurant or even a bar, I suppose.  Your hotel room could be off limits - just for you.

GINGER-  You want me to not just act a part, you want me to BE the part, and the part is completely improv - but with a ton of memorization involved - because the part is ...YOU! And you have written 38 books!  All romance!  And I would have to memorize all those titles and all those characters!

VIOLET -  Okay, I see there are no misunderstandings, I'm so glad, I was worried that my explanation would be inadequate.  And if you prefer, it's not that you would be me, perhaps you could think of it like this....you would be my....stand-in.

GINGER -  (Laughs)  Stand-in!  You really think you could pull this off?  Where will you be hiding?  In the shower?  Under the bed?

VIOLET -  Oh, I won't be going on the book tour with you, I'll be right here.....working on my next book.  Don't you see, I have no interest in crowds at all, and I have absolutely no interest in traveling all over the country to talk to crowds.  I like to write.  And if you ....as you put it....become me.....I get to write and you, as an actress, get to act.  It seems very simple to me.  From what I understand, your last paying theater work was seven months ago, and your rent is two months overdue.  So I am offering a place to stay - here - when not on tour - paid training where you learn to become...me.  And then to travel, to stay in nice hotels, and eat good food -  for a substantial amount of money.  I see no problems with this at all.  It's a win-win situation.

         (Ginger goes over to Violet and looks at her closely)

GINGER-  We are pretty similar, but your eyes are different.

VIOLET -  Contacts can fix that.

GINGER - What about....if I want to......go out on dates.....how do we handle that?

VIOLET -  (Thinking)  Not difficult.  You bring a wig and your own clothing.

GINGER -  (Smiles)  I like to drink....

VIOLET -  So long as you don't get drunk and reveal this little secret of ours.....of course if you do, you won't get paid....it's in the contract....

           (She shows the contract to Ginger, who looks and her eyes widen)

GINGER -  I would have to pay back all the money!  

VIOLET -  It's called an incentive to follow the rules.....

GINGER -  Incentive, threat, I thought you were a pushover, but I kind of like this crazy idea.....who knows, maybe it will work.....

VIOLET -  I don't see what could go wrong.....

            (Ginger looks at Violet, then looks up)

GINGER -    Somehow, I expect those words to be on a gravestone........

         (End of scene)


----------------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: