Sunday, April 23, 2017

Monologue Mania Day # 1165 Addiction (2-from the Stand-in) by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 23, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
  first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                    day, click here  There are now over 1150!
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 1165 Addiction (2-from the Stand-in)  by Janet S. Tiger (c) April 23, 2017               
          
This is Violet's reaction to Ginger's ideas from Day # 1165
                                       Addiction (2)
                                                              (from The Stand-in) by Janet S. Tiger  
                                                                           (c) 2017 all rights reserved
                                                                              tigerteam1@gmail.com


        (Violet goes after Ginger and grabs her arm. Ginger pulls away and Violet uses both hands to stop her)

VIOLET -  Wait a minute!  You think you have it all figured out, but you have no idea what's like for me!  How dare you make fun of all the people who read my books!  Everything is a joke to you, but let me tell you, addiction isn't something funny - people read my books, okay, women read my books because life is not so easy!  Life is not like in the books!  You don't end up with the perfect guy who has lots of money and a great body!  You end up with someone who has problems, and doesn't wash his feet, and tells you you're getting fat while he rests a beer can on his huge belly!

(She yells this with all her might)  LIFE IS MESSY!  That is the horrible truth!  Life has all kinds of ugly stuff, not the least of which is alcohol, which makes it even messier!  And smellier and uglier!  And when people read my books they can pretend that life is just perfect and there are no problems and they can put up with everything and no matter what, they can smell....

GINGER -  Did you say smell?

VIOLET - I said SMILE!

GINGER -  No, you distinctly said...SMELL!

         (In spite of herself, Violet laughs and Ginger joins in)

VIOLET -  How do you do that?

GINGER -  What?  Smell?  I can put up with everything and still smell!

         (They laugh again and then Violet holds up a hand)

VIOLET -  Stop it!  Please!  Laughing does not help...

GINGER -  Could've fooled me....

         (Violet's laughter turns into tears and Ginger goes over and puts an arm around her)

GINGER -  Honey, with all the acting you do - YOU should be the actress....

          (Violet calms a little)

VIOLET -  I am the actress.....I pretend and pretend that nothing upsets me....

GINGER - Except for dealing with any other human beings in any way....

VIOLET -  Except for that......but I do a good job....

GINGER-  You do.....except, you don't......Do you have any idea what you feel at any one time?

VIOLET -  Like when?

GINGER -  Like right now ....

           (She thinks for a minute)

VIOLET   -  I feel.....I feel....

GINGER -  Not so easy when you keep it all bottled up inside....go ahead, you can do it....what do you feel?

VIOLET -  I feel like shit.....

GINGER -  So that explains the smell.....or the shit-eating grin?

              (She sees Violet's reaction)

GINGER -  Sorry, that wasn't nice.  My go-to emotion is humor, so maybe, we have more in common than we think.........I have an idea.....and before you pooh-pooh it....and I don't mean the smelly kind of pooh- pooh, just listen.  How about, if you and I go together on the next tour.....I do one night, then you do the next.  You can learn from me how to deal with the crowds, and I....I can learn from watching you how to really learn who you are.  You'd have a chance to confront all of these demons that scare you.....talking in public, meeting new people, not having every moment of every day planned to the last second!

VIOLET -  I don't know....

GINGER - Come on, you do know...

VIOLET -  Let me think about it....

GINGER - No, not thinking this time, just feel it.....if it feels right, say OK....

VIOLET -  I never make an important decision this way...

GINGER -  You mean from your guts?  You know what they say - no guts, no glory....

VIOLET -  I think that expression is meant in another way....

GINGER -  Shut up and don't think this time.....

VIOLET -  Funny, that's just what he said on Prom Night.....

GINGER -  But what'd you do?

             (Violet screws up her face, shakes her head no, then Ginger shakes her head up and down.  End of scene)
----------------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: