Monday, February 20, 2017

Monologue Mania Day #1104 The Joy of Pain by Janet S. Tiger (c) Feb. 20, 2017

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!

            first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!           *********                                                        
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                                              day, click here  There are now over 1090!
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #1104 The Joy of Pain by Janet S. Tiger (c) Feb. 20, 2017
                                             The Joy of Pain
                                                 (for Caregivers Anonymous)
                                              by Janet S. Tiger (c) Feb. 20, 2017
                                                  
                                                 (c) 2017   A monologue by
                                                    by Janet S. Tiger

        (The woman is very unassuming, not shy, but very quiet.  She stands to address the others)

I have a confession.  (quickly)  No, it's not that I hurt someone I took care of, heaven forbid even thinking about that!  No, but I just went to a movie, and I got there before my friend, and it was getting close to the time, so I texted her that I'd be in the theater, and went to look for my movie.  Oh my, it's been so long since I went, now there are so many theaters....so I found it!  Or so I thought. And I went to sit down and the movie started and...Oh!.  I was in the wrong theater!

       (She puts her hands to her cheeks)

I mean, I knew there were movies like that, but I never thought I'd actually watch one!  Horrifying! S and M!   Even the name of what they do is frightening...sado- masochism!

Well, here's the thing about having watched even just a bit....and no, Clark, I am not interested in something strange - or in your case, even listening to your strange!

No, I  realized that, surprisingly enough....I just might be.... a masochist!   Not with the whips and chains and funny costumes, but  I guess I'm a person who likes pain, and well, I don't really like pain, but I put up with it for....most of my life, because, I like what I get out of it....I like what I get out.. of caregiving

So painful, so much of the days....and nights.  Taking care of first my little brother, then my mom and dad, and my kids, and uncle and aunt, and now .....Now I get paid for the people I take care of, but it's all the same.....you love the people.  You can't help it.  Taking care of another person's body, and talking to them all day, for weeks on end when the family goes on a cruise......and then you get to make that person smile, and you listen to stories about times ya never heard about before....and you learn things, those are the gifts you get.....and then you get, the pain.  When they ....go downhill....or get so bad they need more than you can give....or when they ...pass on.

There's a powerful pain!  I mean, it hurts very deep - and I suppose, that in its own way, that pain has a touch of pleasure, because to forget how much it hurts, I think of the blessings of caring for these people and I .....feel good again.

          (Turns to sit down, stops, looks back, then up)

But I still don't like those outfits!

          (Sits as the others laugh)


  

---------------------------------------
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------------













No comments: