Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 237 by Janet S. Tiger A New Home for Irv Oct. 7, 2014


Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 237 by Janet S. Tiger A New Home for Irv Oct. 7, 2014 
          
           Note -  Need a better title - please send me your suggestions, thanks!
                           A New Home for Irv
                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com


            (A man comes on, he is older, dressed in construction clothes, carrying a shovel.  He smiles broadly)

Hello again!  Aren't you the same reporter from earlier today?  Did you bring a camera this time?  Great!   I dug the hole a bit deeper, and was just about to go wash up before they close the bathrooms.

         (Listens)

Yes, I think that it's going very well - I plan to have the foundation is tomorrow, and with my solar powered lighting and computer, I can actually watch some TV and get news on the Internet!  What an amazing world it is!

Think about it, just a few weeks ago, I was effectively homeless, now look at me!  I have effectively homesteaded my property!  Do you like that?  I think it makes a good sound bite!  Speaking of which, I am getting hungry, want to join me for dinner?

       (Listens)

I have some delicious peanut butter sandwiches, and my ice chest allows me to offer you some milk and fruit.

I am truly prepared for just about anything!  You know, it's funny, after I lost my job, and my wife passed away very suddenly from what they call an aneurysm.....but I think it was the thought of losing everything after all these years.....so I was all alone, and then someone suggested (imitates friend’s voice) 'What about family, Irv?  Maybe someone can take you in' and I had the brainstorm that you are covering now!

This is my only family! 

           (He points to the side)

My wife and I bought these matching grave sites years ago, and I know she probably will love the company! 

I never thought that I would end up here so soon....but why not?  It's paid for....and I have my car so I can go to the library and the beach and visit friends......why can't I put down new roots.....in a place where I'll end up anyhow!  I'm just saving time is all.....with my Social Security, I can eat well and even put up a lovely headstone.....so tell me exactly who am I hurting?

        (He listens)

Excuse me, do you really think the cemetery is going to call the police on me?  Why should they?  Look at all the free publicity!

        (He lifts up a tablet)

And I even have a blog.......so people can follow all the exciting events of my new home......look....

        (He holds up the tablet to show the reporter)

Last night, I was asleep and a raccoon came nosing around...and I got it on my grave cam!

So you could say, I even have a pet!

         (He turns to go, looks back)

You are right, I think I've made the best of.....a grave situation!  

         (He exits.  End of scene)




--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------






No comments: