Monday, October 6, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 236 by Janet S. Tiger The Secret Oct. 6, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 236 by Janet S. Tiger   Oct. 6, 2014 
             Note-  This started back in 2010, but I've expanded it now.  It is part of HOW TO WRITE A MONOLOGUE IN 10 EASY LESSONS (Well, Maybe Not so Easy)

                                   The Secret
                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

                (The actor comes onstage, carrying a book, waving at the audience)

Thank you, thank you....you are very kind!  Thank you all for being here tonight.

It's no secret that I love to read to adoring crowds! 

(Deep breath)   Secrets....I think that secrets are why everyone loves a good mystery.  Life is a mystery.  Life is full of secrets that, by their very nature, create mystery.

In what I read next, the hero confronts what is at the basis of his entire life....a secret that his family sowed and cultivated for years.   This passage is one of the reasons I am a writer......

         (Picks up the book and reads)



When I was 5, I heard a secret that changed my whole life. 
Maybe I wasn’t five, when I think about it, I may have been 6 or 7, but who cares?  I was too young to understand everything, and that’s what changed my life.

I was listening at my parent’s door when they thought I was asleep.
Ok, they were screaming.  I hated when they screamed.  I didn’t have to listen at their door – I could’ve been in the next house and heard them.  Why did they do that?  Did they want me to know these things?

They were talking about getting a divorce.
It wasn’t just a divorce, it was something worse.  And it took me years of therapy to figure out that I always knew in my heart........ that something was very wrong between them.  And I never should have known.

And they didn’t want anyone to know. Our family was built on this secret, on this foundation made of quicksand, and I spent a lifetime trying to crawl out....

Now that I think about it,  maybe..just maybe they did want someone to know.  Maybe it was cruel what they did.  No, not maybe.  It was cruel.

So when I told Aunt Mary, I was telling a secret, and I could never understand why she looked so sad.  I never admitted this to anyone, but I guess I always knew why my father and Aunt Mary were so cold to me, and why my Uncle Andy always treated me differently....so nicely......  Because I am his child.  He and my mother.......(he shivers).....even now the thought makes me......disgusted.  Angry.  And most of all....so very, very sad.....

        (The actor wipes eyes, closes the book, and turns to walk off, stops, looks back)

And now...now that he’s dead, I’m sorry I never told him that I knew.

         (The actor exits.  End of scene) 



--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------





No comments: