Thursday, October 2, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 232 by Janet S. Tiger Thud Oct. 2, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 232 by Janet S. Tiger  Thud Oct. 2, 2014  

                                                     Thud
                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

             (The man who walks out is holding a piece of clothing in his hands.  He rubs it on his face)

Yes, doctor, I know why I'm here.  Everyone says I need help. 

            (He sniffs the clothing again, then puts it down)

Who knows, they may be right.

They say I'm still obsessed with Jody.  But that's not true.  'Still' means that I was obsessed with him the whole time we lived together.  Thirty-two years.  No one is that obsessed.

We had our ups and downs, affairs with others, fights and battles and everyday arguments over important things like how to tie up the garbage.

           (He illustrates what he now discusses)

Jody was a strict proponent of the twist and tie method, where I firmly believe twist and ties allow leakage, so the only real way is tying up the top loosely, then squishing out the air, with a final tightening that prevents all odor and bugs from entering.

That was one of biggest ongoing battles.  (Thinks)  How much time did we spend on that vital part of life!  Okay.   Maybe I was a bit obsessed about that.  But once Jody and I passed the honeymoon stage, passed the move-in stage, then we were friends and lovers, but not obsessively so.  We traveled together, but also apart.  We worked together, but we each had our own friends.  It was a perfect life.

          (He sighs deeply, then rubs the clothing on his face again)

And then he got sick.  At first no one knew what it was.  We went to a million doctors, all told us the tests were fine, and then they basically told us it was all in his head.  That's always a delight to hear.  Until he collapsed on that cruise to Alaska, and we had to air lift him out, back to Los Angeles.

And then we found out that the doctors had really been right, it was all in his head.......specifically (says this very carefully) .....malignant glioma, inoperable and not particularly pleasant.

The last year was a nightmare, but every minute together suddenly became precious. (Hard for him to say)   I have such guilt that I didn't appreciate all those other minutes!  All those other years!

But the hardest part was the very end.  We knew it was close, and it was hard to keep Jody at home, but he wanted that, and so did I.

           (He holds the clothing to his heart)

It was a Monday morning....ooh, how I played 'Monday, Monday' for weeks afterwards!  Can't trust that day!

I was getting breakfast, and Jody was slowly walking in from the bedroom.  Not that he ate very much at that point.  He got so very thin......

         (He is reliving the moment)

I don't know which I heard first, him gasp......(He gasps loudly)......or the thud.....

         (He falls to his knees)

But in that instant, I knew.  By the time I got to him.......he was gone.  My beautiful Jody!  ....(Trying not to cry)...... I didn't even call 911.....saved myself the cost of the ambulance!  Wasn't that clever!

It's funny....I'm guilty about not appreciating the time we had, but now...now I have lots of time to think about all the things I'd saved money on....not getting the extra long bed.....Jody was tall, but that extra long would have cost another $500!.....or the fancy speakers when he got his new car.  Who needs Bose speakers when they cost an extra $300?

I don't.  But I wish I'd gotten them for him.  What do I need with that money now?

But I need him.  I miss him.  And I will never forget that last moment, with all the regrets of a lifetime.

          (He holds out the clothing)

See this shirt?  It was Jody's, of course it was Jody's. It still has a tiny bit of his smell on it.  Sweat and a bit of his favorite Ralph Lauren aftershave that he would splash everywhere.

So. if I'm obsessing now, I'm sorry it bothers everyone.  They'll just have to get used to it......In some ways, I think I'm a bit better.

     (He turns to exit, stops, looks back)

You see, I used to carry around his old underwear.....

      (He exits, laughing, the end for now)
--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------





No comments: