Monday, October 20, 2014

Monologue Mania Day Day # 250 by Janet S. Tiger The Devil's Food Oct. 20, 2014

          Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day  Day # 250 by Janet S. Tiger  The Devil's Food Oct. 20, 2014 
      Previous monologues from The Devil Comes to River Bend - Day # 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 206, 207)


                                                The Devil's Food
                                       (For The Devil Comes to River Bend)
                              A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                tigerteam1@gmail.com

            (The towel over the woman's shoulder and the pencil behind her ear says it all, she is in the food business, and she has been for a long time.  She looks at the audience and smiles, speaks in a slow Texas drawl)

Well, hello, New York.  I was wondrin' when you'd get to speak to me......can I offer you a cuppa coffee....on the house?  Everythin' else you pay for, because that's the way it works here.

         (Listens, laughs)

What do I know?  Now that's a rich one!  For a girl who never finished high school, I know a lot.  I know how to take the one pot of beans - the last because someone didn't order more in time - take that pot and get it to stretchout over two shifts of hungry watermelon pickers.

I know how to tell if a person's gonna pay for their lunch or try to skip out through the back bathroom window, so's I can offer them a free meal on the house before they become thieves.

And best of all, I know how to make a devil's food cake that's is so DEE-licious that it could make the devil himself say...Hallelujah!

But I think you wanna know somethin else....something about who killed Calvin.  And it's funny, because the sheriff never asked me.  Some might say it's because I was nowhere near the original accident that killed the Rodriguez boys and nowhere near the crash that killed Calvin because for 18 hours a day I am right here slingin' hash to hungry people!

         (She takes the towel and dries a glass)

Or some might say he didn't ask...because he knows that I know somethin'......and they would be right, because I do know somethin'....I know who shot Calvin, just as sure as I know that if I put in three eggs to the devil's food cake recipe, instead of four, it turns out not so tasty.  So, how bout that coffee?  I got a fresh pot just ready......

        (She turns to go, looks back)

I may know who killed Calvin, but I'll be goddamned if I'm a gonna tell you......

         (She exits, end of scene)

-------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: