Sunday, October 12, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 242 by Janet S. Tiger Part One Oct. 12, 2014

          Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 242 by Janet S. Tiger Part One Oct. 12, 2014 
    Please note - this Part One and Part Two -for tomorrow Oct. 13 -
 is not related to Part One -Part Two
except in the sense that I like to take chances with different takes on the same subject.  Please let me know which part works better- thanks!
 
                                                    Part One 
                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

              (The actor enters, very spiffy, with a comb - and mirror if necessary.  Very up, very excited)

A callback!  I got a callback!  My first callback!  I've been going on auditions for ages...well, maybe three months, and this is my very first callback!

               (Looks in the mirror, tilts head)

Which side should this part go on?  This way on the right......

               (Moves hair)

Or this way on the left?

               (Moves hair again)

I can't tell!

               (Looks at watch/phone)

And it's too late to call anyone, I have to be there in ....oh, my God....like zero minutes!

               (Goes to put down mirror, stops, looks again)

But which way will ensure that I get the part?

My first callback!  And maybe even....my first part!

              (Stops, thinks, realizes)

My first part!  That's it, which way did my first part go?

              (Runs around, looking)

Where is an old baby picture when you need it....I must know which side my mother put the part on, because I am sure this will make sure I get this part!  It makes sense...it's logical!

            (Finds an album, opens it quickly.....looks, is horrified)

No part!  No part at all!  Just.......bangs!

            (Picks up mirror, stares)

I can't do bangs now!  It's too late!  And I always have a part now!  I can't jinx my entire career over a mistake my mother made years ago!

            (Falls to knees, pulling hair)

(Very upset)  Will Shakespeare, will you please help me?  What should I do?

            (Listens)

What?  That's a great idea!

          (Looks in the mirror, takes the comb, and puts the part.....)

Straight down the middle!  I love it!  Compromise and originality!  I can't lose!  They have to give me this part now.....

           (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

I'm sorry, I can't resist, the writer of this monologue just has me walk offstage now, but I have to say this first.....(gives it with a great flourish) .....'Good night, good night, parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be the morrow!'

          (Exits.  The beginning of an actor's career.)


--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: