Saturday, October 11, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 241 by Janet S. Tiger Justice Oct. 11, 2014

          Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 241 by Janet S. Tiger   Justice Oct. 11, 2014 
   
                                                     Justice
                       (from The Devil Comes to River Bend) 
                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com

           (Mr. Rodriguez comes onstage, he is beaten down, in his 30s only, but still beaten down.  He    has the look of a man who has worked hard all his life, calloused hands, broad shoulders, but he is in a suit.  He hangs his head a bit as he walks to face the audience. Then he squares his shoulders and stands up straight.   He raises his hand to swear.)

Yes, I promise to tell the truth.

My lawyer did not want me to talk.  But I know my rights.  I have the right to talk to you, the jury.  I have seen many TV shows, so I know how the law workshere.
 
           (He points into the audience at people)

And I know, you, my neighbors, know the truth, just like on TV.  The jury always knows the truth.  Because you know I did not kill Calvin, if he were here in front of me, right now, I still would not kill him.

         (He takes a deep breath, this is hard)

But I would ask him, 'why, Calvin, did you have to kill my sons?'  We never did nothing to hurt you.  I barely know you.  Why did you drink so much?  I go to church, and the priest, he talks about God and he talks about the devil.  Was it the devil who bought you those drinks?  Did he make you get into the car and drive it...drive it into ...into my boys!........(Trying to control himself)  Me and my wife, we cannot have more babies, so why did you take them?

I cannot lie.   I do not know who killed you, and God himself knows I did not kill you....and he knows that I am not sad you are dead.

But not being sad is not a reason to say I killed you....  And....even if I knew who did, God also knows that I would not tell, because, in my heart, I know that what happened to you, is God's justice.

           (He turns to walk off, stops, looks back)

I just cannot figure out.....where was the justice in my sons' deaths?

           (He exits, end of scene)

--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: