Saturday, November 1, 2014

Monologue Mania Day#262 by Janet S. Tiger Frozen (doctor scene) Nov. 1, 2014

       Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day#262   by Janet S. Tiger  Frozen (doctor scene)  Nov. 1, 2014 

                                             Frozen  (doctor scene)
                             A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                tigerteam1@gmail.com 

            (The same young man from Day # 256, 258, 259 enters.  This is the scene where we see him being hooked up to a large machine with a very large monitor.   He gets off the gurney and watches as the doctor and the doctor's assistants hook him up, with his mother watching.  He is annoyed and amused, but not very excited)

I wonder what this guy will tell my Mom.  The last one managed to keep her going for weeks.  The one before that...wait, maybe that was two whitecoats ago.....yeah, Dr. Fenneman......now that was a quack.  I remember screaming at her.....

           (He goes over to his mother and she does not hear him)

Don't do it!  I hate to travel!  And you don't need to spend any more money on this shit!  

            (Suddenly his mother turns, almost as if she's heard, but it's to wave away a wisp of hair, which she tucks behind her ear.)

For a minute, Mom.....well, I guess if you can still hope, I guess I can still pretend.  

           (Turns to the doctor who is speaking)

What the hell is blithering on about now?  I mean this guy has got to be the weirdest one, and we had to come all the way to fucking Denmark - and I don't even get to see the windmills!  (Thinks)  Or is that another country?  The one with the funny shoes.....what is he talking about, I have to think about what?  A rock?  That's just great!  He wants me to react to a rock!  And why not?  I'm like a rock now, so maybe we're kindred spirits.

           (Laughs, then looks at the monitor, which is lighting up in different areas)

Whoa, that's my brain.

           (He looks at his mother, who is trying not to cry)

Mom, it's okay, you've seen this before, they are just gonna tell you the same thing......

           (There is a flash of light in one area and he is quiet)

Wait a minute, what did he ask me?  To think about a sandwich?  My Mom knew how much I loved it when she made the peanut butter sandwiches with bananas.....is that a banana he's holding up......
I can almost taste it...... 

           (He closes his eyes and he is back many years.  His mother gets up and we see her making a sandwich.)

I would come home from school, and I'd be hungry, and she'd spread that peanut butter on both sides, and then .....the banana!  Oh, my God, I can almost taste it!

          (As he says this, the lights go on brilliantly in one section of the monitor, almost like an explosion.  His mother looks up from the sandwich and puts her hands to her mouth, she is very moved.  The doctor approaches the screen, he is in awe.)

What is going on here?  I mean, please don't get my hopes up!  Not after all these years!  

         The doctor signals to the mother to cover the sandwich and the doctor now lifts the rock)

What the hell is it with that goddamned rock?  I would like to have the sandwich back!  I may not be able to eat it, but just seeing it....smelling it!

       (The activity has slowed, quieted down, the doctor puts down the rock and indicates the sandwich be brought to his lips.)

No!  Don't tease me!  I can't take it!

       (The monitor again explodes in color and we see his mother crying and go to hug the doctor.)

That's my brain, isn't it?  They know I'm in here!  Not just my crazy mother, but this doctor, and all these people!

       (The others in the room are cheering)

(Crying)  Please don't leave me!  Not now! 

        (The lights go on throughout the entire monitor and the colors are so brilliant everyone in the room stops talking and cheering to watch in awe.)    
   
Well don't just stand there you idiots! (Shouting)  Get me outta here!

        (The lights and colors on the monitor reach a crescendo, then blackout.  End of Act 2)
------------------------------------------------------------------ 


Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315 
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

Wow. Beautiful and important. One of my favorites.