Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #272 by Janet S. Tiger The Longest Day Nov. 11, 2014

       Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #272  by Janet S. Tiger  The Longest Day Nov. 11, 2014 
         
This was first written in 1998 on Veteran's Day  after watching THE LONGEST DAY with my son, updated for today’s monologue.  Thank you to all who serve, and all who wait.
                            
                                            The Longest Day
                                      A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com 



               (A woman comes out onstage.  She has a flag and she waves it proudly)


Veteran's Day

I watched a movie with my son

A movie about D-day

And it's different now, than when I was younger

Before, I cried for the young men

And their girlfriends....

Because I knew so many guys in the service

Home from Vietnam in those days, the dead were their friends, never to return

But even though I'd never lost a love on foreign shores

I could sense the horror

The waiting for letters

The telegram- the phone call

Like a nightmare come to life

Now it's different, now I have a son

Now when I watched, I cried for all the sons.....

And for their mothers....

I'd never thought of them before

But now....I cried not just for the handsome lads in uniforms but also for all the women who changed their diapers

And wiped their noses
And washed their clothes
And dried their tears

And I prayed for all those

Now in uniform

And for their mothers….and fathers

Because I knew that, until they are home safe

Every day……. is the longest day
 
------------------------------------------------------------------ 


Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315 
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------




No comments: