Monday, November 3, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #264 by Janet S. Tiger Rollercoaster Nov. 3, 2014

       Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #264   by Janet S. Tiger   Rollercoaster Nov. 3, 2014 

                            Rollercoaster
                                                  
                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                tigerteam1@gmail.com 

               (A woman comes out, she is almost young.  She is wearing a racecar driver's jumpsuit.   She holds her hand over her eyes like a visor, waving with the other)

Hold on, hold on!  One question at a time!
               (Listens, laughs)
Okay!  I will tell you!
(Takes a deep breath)  I was in kindergarten when I learned that our class was going to Legoland and that there was going to be a....(with horror) a...rollercoaster!

What was a rollercoaster?  The name alone struck fear in my little heart!

One of the very helpful young men in my class told me how scary they were, and I proceeded to tell everyone that I would never ride on a.... rollercoaster!  Ever!
The teacher was Mrs. Burroughs and she was very kind....she told me I did not have to go on the rollercoaster if I did not want to go.

But I told everyone - and my parents - that I would not go.  For a whole month I told everyone.  By this time, my mother had volunteered to go along, and, now that I have children, I  know how tired she was of hearing the same (child's voice)  "Mommy, I am never going on the rollercoaster- ever!"  And her saying (imitates mother)  'Don't worry, you won't have to go, and I will be right there to make sure!'

So the days passed like lead balloons, slow and memorable in their dragging.  But somehow, the big day arrived.  

I was horrified, and frightened and shaking in my little shoes....and...just a wee bit curious.  What was this horrible rollercoaster that the boy....what was his name?.....had told me about?  Where was it?,,,,,the day was filled with fun and that incredible sensation  of looking forward to something that you're afraid o.....I suppose that's why people go to horror movies!

And then, we stopped for lunch and nearby we could hear shouts and there was a giant structure, oh, it must have been miles high!.....or maybe three stories, but it was the.....rollercoaster!

I could barely eat.  My mother reassured me I didn't have to go.....then she looked at me and asked the fated question, 'are you sure you don't want to try?'

That was it.  The challenge.  I had to go.  I may die in the attempt, but I had to try.

My mother was game, and we waited in line with the others, including Gary.....that was his name.  He was taunting the others ......the big man because he could be.

But I was not as frightened now that I saw the dreaded rollercoaster was just a bunch of metal....just like my daddy worked on in the garage and at his store.

(Deep sigh)  I got into the seat and they strapped me in.....my mother put her arm around me but I shrugged it off.  I could do this.

             (In ecstasy, dancing around the stage, moving like the rollercoaster)

It was......MAGNIFICENT!

I loved it!  And it was only a second long!  At least that's what it felt like!  As soon as we landed, I begged to go on again.....and my mother reluctantly agreed.  Turned out SHE hated rollercoasters!  But at five I never noticed her fingers were clenched white on the railing of the car, all I could see was that I loved it!  

I went on five times!  And would have done more, but my mother said we had to see other things, it was ......necessary.
But it was the beginning of my love of fast things......I have been bungie jumping in Costa Rica, I've ridden on every single rollercoaster I can get to, I've even tried sky diving! 

And whenever I'm scared, of anything, I go take a look and see what exactly is frightening me so much, and guess what?  It's all pieces of metal and wood and bolts and nuts.....(laughs) and sometimes the nuts are made of flesh, but they are all not so scary when I look and...give it a try.  And that's how I got here!  Now, I have to get back to my crew, see you on the track!

          (She turns to walk off, stops, looks back)

Gary?  He only went on once...turns out they won't let you ride with wet pants!

          (She exits to vrooming noises.  Checker flag!)

------------------------------------------------------------------ 


Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315 
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: