Monday, November 24, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #285 by Janet S. Tiger The Day Before Nov. 24, 2014


       Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #285 by Janet S. Tiger The Day Berfore   Nov. 24, 2014 
Other monologues from Caregivers Anonymous - Day # 284, 273, 271, 270, 268)

                                                      The Day Before 
                                                     (for Caregivers Anonymous)
                                  A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                        tigerteam1@gmail.com 

            (During the first act, in the middle of announcements, a woman comes in carrying a large box.  She is in her thirties, very harried, but happy.  She plunks the box down next to the coffee)

I'm SO sorry to be late, everyone, but there was a HUGE line at the bakery, and then I had left my purse in the CAR!  So, PLEASE forgive me, but I really don't care, because tomorrow is my BIRTHDAY!

             (The others break into Happy Birthday but she waves her hands for them to stop)

Thank you!  But I HATE hearing that more than once, and since I will have to hear it tomorrow, let's just have some cake!

             (Everyone comes over for cake and they wish her happy birthday, except for the other young woman who hangs back.)

Thank you!  Thank you!  Have as much as you like, it's  my BIRTHDAY!
  
             (As they all return to their seats, she stands up and looks around)

Thank you all for being such good friends, and for sharing my birthday, and for helping through all the other days, which are sometimes not so happy.....

             (She nods to the new woman)

Everyone else knows my whole story, but just for our newest visitor, I take care of two people, my oldest son Eric, who has Downs Syndrome, and my daughter  Angela, who has cystic fibrosis.  And I have two other children, Marybeth, who is four and Lyle who is just two, so I can be a little busy sometimes........I mean, I know that things could be worse, and coming here every week has given me a whole new perspective on that.  

Remember Doug?  He took care of his 85 year old mother, and then he was in a car crash, and he died....so, I guess, you just never know.

But that's all the personal stuff, because I wanna talk about something having to do with my birthday....something I have been thinking about for a long time.  Because this is the day BEFORE my birthday, and since I've had children, I know that you remember the day they're born, but also, the day before, before everything changes.

Each of their birthdays is burned into your brain like a photograph, and you wonder what the day before your own birth was like, and since my folks are both gone, and I'm the oldest, I have no one to ask.  But I wonder about another day.  I mean, you all know that I am NOT a religious person...I do not belong to a church or anything, but this year, I just starting wondering about God, and what he did the day BEFORE the Big Bang, the day BEFORE the universe was born......   

I mean, was he just resting?  Or did he have all this planned, because the whole universe is awfully well put together, you know, maybe God is a bit OCD?   Was he wondering where to put everything?  Or did he have help, maybe?

Or even, was he watching TV or the Internet?  I mean, he may have created this universe, but maybe there were other universes before......Okay, this may be getting a little weird, but on the day before I was born.......did God know what my life was going to be like?  My parents, and who I would marry?  That I would have children with......special needs?  I hate that expression.  When people say that to me....(mimics) Oh, it must be so hard to have TWO children with SPECIAL NEEDS.....(Back to herself)  I tell them, 'But ALL my children have special needs, it's just that two of them have EXTRA special needs.'  And then they get a look on their faces that I just love, and I walk away.  That's almost as good as a great birthday present, that look on their face.......but it doesn't help with my OTHER question.....did God know what I was getting?

            (She takes a deep breath and goes to sit, nodding at the new girl, stops, looks back)
  
Or is it just luck?

              (She takes a big bite of the cake as the lights freeze on her.  End of scene)

      
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Happy Birthday to me!

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315 
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------


No comments: