Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #280 by Janet S. Tiger Not So Fast! Nov. 19, 2014

       Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #280 by Janet S. Tiger  Not So Fast!  Nov. 19, 2014 


This monologue is taken from the one-act,  Not So Fast!, which received Honorable Mention in the 2014 Script Tease of New One-Acts –first public reading at Scripteasers on Friday, Nov. 21, for more info -click here

                                                            Not So Fast © 2014

                                   A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved

                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com

                                
                (A mother walks out, opens a door and looks in, listens.  She is calm, but very direct)

Well, young lady.  You have done something which allows everyone to judge you.  But me, I am not really here to judge.
          (She tilts her head, listens)
You made a pact with ....well, is it the devil?  And I made my own pact - there are rules that        come with each agreement.  You'll figure it out.  Anyway,  I warned you!
You never listen to me, so I am here to make sure you finally do.
You see,   you have no choice now, it's just the two of us.
What is this place?  Funny you should ask!    For me, I'm in heaven.
With you dead, I get you completely to myself -       what a dream for a mother!  We can talk until the end of time.
You must've been in a lot of pain to take all these pills, honey, and my job now is to make sure you are in worse pain.
Let’s start with your birth.
            (She takes out a book of photos and we don't hear her, but she is glowing about her baby.   Raises her head to listen)
You thought taking those pills would make all this go away?
            (She  starts laughing)
That's a good one!  Nothing goes away here - I just get to keep talking.
There are no windows......
No way out.  No escape.  No exit.  No chance. No leaving.  No No No
        (She stops, upset)
Did I hear you tell me to …’shut up?’  Don't talk to me like that, young lady!
Rights?  Who said you have any rights?  (Very angry)  When you are born you are given the         right to a pursuit of happiness, not that you will catch it!  And no one said that you have the right to spit in the face of everyone you know!  I don't care how much pain you are  in,  you are greatly loved and everyone wants you to live so you can pursue your dreams!         Here, look at the rest of your life....
            (She takes out another box, and in it is a cell phone, which she turns on, and we hear         laughter.)
That was your sixth birthday, and you were happy....
And here you are in third grade.....
            (Her mother looks at the video and no longer smiles)
I had no idea......no idea it was so painful....
I was busy because we had so much to do, and I was working....
And I guess I  never had time to listen....
…and the years just passed.....
Did you  hate me for thinking everything was fine....
            (She hangs her head and puts out her hand to touch her daughter, who pulls back.)
I know, when you're dead, you can't be touched, that's another rule.
            (She is quiet for a moment, and she reaches out her hand, but not as far.)
What happened today, honey?
What brought you to this moment?
Was it that girl who was taunting you all the time?  Do the pills work?  I mean, they may kill you, but…. how many pills will it take to forget? 
Didn’t I ask you if everything was all right and you would say….
Fine, everything’s fine.
Fine, everything’s fine….
Was that the truth?
I guess not.
            (She  is very affected by this, turns to leave, stops, looks back)
I don’t know how many pills you took, but there aren’t enough pills on this planet to make me forget this…….
             (She hears something, stops, she is now completely different)
No, honey, I was just watching you sleep…..I still do that sometimes, because, I’m still your mother…..and I worry about you…..go back to sleep….I’ll see you in the morning…..
            (She closes the door)
Just remember, if you take those pills, I will be there forever……torturing you for all eternity!
            (She opens the door, leans in)
Sleep tight!
           (She exits.  Never the end of a mother’s diligence!)
       --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-274-9678
www.PlaysByJanetSTiger.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8





------------------------------------------------------------------ 
  

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315 
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------




No comments: