Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #273 by Janet S. Tiger Caregivers Anon (new opening) Nov. 12, 2014

       Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day,
 click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #273 by Janet S. Tiger   Nov. 12, 2014 

                                                    Caregivers Anonymous
                                                          (new opening)
                                      A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com 

             (The set is simple to start, a table with chairs are in the corner of the stage.  About 15 minutes before the play begins, a man will come on.  This is Franklin, older but very dapper, with a hat and cane and bag, and he removes his coat and hat and starts to arrange the chairs and table for the meeting.  This will help get the crowd in earlier, as the play may not start until lights up, there will be some interesting business to watch.

             Franklin puts the chairs in a semi-circle, with the table to one side and he now starts to brew some coffee.   He also will set up a plate of brownies, cookies - nibble food - and get the cups ready.  While he is preparing, others will start to arrive.  The order of arrival will be different every night, just like it is at a real meeting.  There will be a total of at least eight people, all ages, from teen to 80s, more women than men, all colors and racial ethnicities will be represented  - and because these are monologues, if someone is ill, or unable to come on one night, the play can stand without their input.   Another version of the play will be available in the event, if Franklin is unable to be there.

            As curtain time approaches, everyone is getting coffee and talking amongst themselves.  The actors will have the choice of improvising, or using dialogue available at the end of this play in the additional sections.  A couple of minutes before lights down, Franklin goes to the table and puts up the final prop, which will signify the play is about to begin -  on a stand, he places the sign....CAREGIVERS ANONYMOUS.  House lights down, stage lights up.  Franklin comes alive and puts on his hat and takes his cane.)

Hello my friends!  Welcome to the Wednesday night meeting of Caregivers Anonymous!

        (The others will ad lib their hellos)

I know everyone is dying to hear what tonight's introductory song will be...

        (The others hoot- oh, no!  not another one! and holler affectionately)

And tonight's is- surprisingly enough.....  in honor of my dear wife........

       (He taps the cane and the others are quiet)

Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.
Let me hear you whisper that you love me too.
Keep the love-light glowing in your eyes so true.
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.


Let me call you sweetheart

                'Cause you can't recall your name

And even though you can't remember

                I know you're not to blame

 I'll keep the night light  glowing
               so you won't fall and break your hip

Let me call you sweetheart
              but please honey..... Do Not Trip!


             (The others groan and make catcalls, and at this he breaks into an old soft shoe and the others now cheer.  He stumbles then takes a bow as a woman now enters, in her twenties, but she looks haggard.  For a continuation, see the original opening Day # 268)



------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Real words for 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart'  with music by Leo Friedman and lyrics by Beth Slater Whitson. (Public domain song - 1910 - can be used without paying royalty) 
I am dreaming Dear of you, day by day
Dreaming when the skies are blue, When they're gray;
When the silv'ry moonlight gleams, Still I wander on in dreams,
In a land of love, it seems, Just with you.
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.
Let me hear you whisper that you love me too.
Keep the love-light glowing in your eyes so true.
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.
Longing for you all the while, More and more;
Longing for the sunny smile, I adore;
Birds are singing far and near, Roses blooming ev'rywhere
You, alone, my heart can cheer; You, just you.
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.
Let me hear you whisper that you love me too.
Keep the love-light glowing in your eyes so true.
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315 
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------




No comments: