Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #140 by Janet S. Tiger Solitary Scene 6 (c) July 2, 2014

Today marks the end of 20 weeks!  only 32 to go! 


Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day #140   by Janet S. Tiger Solitary (Scene 6)(c) July 2, 2014    

                  (This is part of SOLITARY - a one-act that was just submitted to the Script Tease of New One-Acts.  Each scene is designed to stand on its own as a monologue, but together, they are a one-act.  The other scenes are Day # 11, 14, 16, 18, 42 - you can click on them on the blurb page to read in order)                                   
                                                                Solitary (c)
                                                                   (scene 6)
                                                                   by Janet S. Tiger
                                              (c) July 2, 2014 all rights reserved
                                                        tigerteam1@gmail.com




Scene 6
            (Jimmy is again alone in his cell.  It is night.  How do we know?   
We know because there is no  sun, and no hope of sun.
            Jimmy is reading the Bible.  He takes a paper and marks a page.

(Quoting)
“Thorns and snares are in the way of the perverse; He who guards himself will be far from them. Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
What have I..I taught my son? 

            (He shakes his head, then opens to the back of the Bible and removes a letter, reading it to his          mother, who we see to the side of the stage as he reads)

‘Dear Mom,
I..I want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me.  I…I know I..I haven’t always been the best son, but now, there’s another favor I..I…I need from you.

I..I..I need you to raise my son.

This will not be easy, because you have no money, because of me, I..I know.  And I..I am truly sorry about that, and everything else that has given you pain.

I..I only hope that raising Jody will …(swallows hard) even off the scales, because he’s a good boy.  And he loves you, and I know you love him.

            (He puts the letter down – he has it memorized, he walks to where he imagines his mother is listening, reading the letter)
 
I..I sent you this letter via one of the guards, so it did not go through the regular prison censors – I..I did not want anything to interfere with my plans for the future.

Being in solitary has changed my life, changed the way I…I look at things…..I..I am sorry I..I was so selfish…..please forgive me.  I know you and Dad did your best.  I...I thank you for all you did.


In solitary, there is a lot of time to talk to ...God...to think, to plan.  I..I remember what you told me years ago, about something you did for me when I..I was a little boy.  You started a life insurance policy for me, and put in one dollar every month.  

I..I  knew about it, because, at one point, I..I thought I could get some money from it, so I went through your papers, and I..I ...stole it.......but it had almost no cash value.  I..I was so angry at how little it was worth, I crumpled it up and threw away the paper.

But I…I remembered the name of the company…..The Everyman Life Insurance Company…small. 

But they are still around.

In solitary, you have a lot of time to search things out.
 \
It has a lot more value when you actually die……

            (From a hiding place in between some of the bricks, he takes out a rope.)

I..I can’t give any more than this, but it should be enough

            (He now goes to the wall where he puts one end of the rope around the hook where his clothes hang.)

With the money from the policy, you’ll be able to take care of Jody until he’s old enough to take care of you - and....  this way,  I....I can't make any more mistakes.....you won't have to worry about me getting into any more trouble

One thing I…I’ve learned from being here is that life is very precious.  And….maybe with this money, you’ll know how precious my love for my son is……

            (Now he sinks to his knees)

Please forgive me for all the pain I..I’ve given you.  At least you know….this is the last pain I can give…..

            (As the lights dim on Jimmy, we see him put the other end of the rope around his neck.  Blackout.)

                                                                




                                      
-------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: