Thursday, November 10, 2016

Monologue Mania Day #1002 The End of the World as We Know It by Janet S. Tiger (c) Nov. 10, 2016

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!


            first   year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!           *********                                                        
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                                              day, click here  There are now over 990!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #1002 The End of the World as We Know It by Janet S. Tiger (c) Nov. 10, 2016
  No, this is not about the election!


                        The End of the World as We Know It 
                               A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                                        tigerteam1@gmail.com 

          (The woman enters with a headset circa the 1950s.  She takes it off and holds it lovingly)

Today is a very sad day for me, for this country, and for the world.

November 10th, 1951.

A day that will live in infamy!

You think World War II was bad, well, sometimes a surprise attack comes in a different way.  You mark my words, today is a day you will never forget.....at least I will never forget!

If you read the papers tomorrow morning, you will see it, maybe even on page 1!  Some Mayor from New Jersey called another Mayor in California......(hard to say, sputtering).....DIRECT!  That means.....without the assistance of a long-distance operator, like me!

Do you know what this means!  It means the end of the world as we know it!

I feel like a man who bred horses must have felt when the first car came out!  Only worse!  Because the people who work in car factories are all men!  And only in those cities like Detroit!  Me and my long-distance sisters are in every state in every city in every town....all over this country!  And we are going down the toilet!  (She touches her cheeks)  Excuse me, that just slipped out, but I am too upset to be the lady my mother taught me to be!  We are going to be out of jobs, you mark my words......now for me, I've been working for Ma Bell for over 20 years, I'll get my retirement.....but what about the young girls who are just starting?  What are they going to do?

And the next thing you know, other services will be automated!  Think about it.....if they can replace me.....they can replace people in....in banks!  Maybe even at gas stations.....or worse, in whatever field you're in......

          (She points to the audience, then turns to leave, stops, looks back and smiles)

Of course, maybe we'll get lucky.....and they'll replace the people in the government.....now, there's a good idea!

           (She exits, laughing, to an automated future in 1951)

----------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------------


Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty