Thursday, January 31, 2019

Monologue Mania Day # 1804 -1805-1806-1807 Modeh Ani (The Morning Prayer) a play in one-act by Janet S. Tiger (c) Feb. 1-2-3-4, 2019

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!

Today is Day # 1804-1807    To look at the other titles - click here

  first   year - Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015   - now in year five - Feb. 14 - today!     
            
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.

Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #  1804 -1805-1806-1807 Modeh Ani (The Morning Prayer) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Feb. 1-2-3-4, 2019

                                      
                                 Modeh Ani
                              (the Morning Prayer)
                 By Janet S. Tiger © 2019  all rights reserved
                                 Tigerteam1@gmail.com

Characters -

Rabbi-   dressed from the 1950s orthodox, with a long coat, beard, yarmulke

Rabbi’s Mother-  dressed in the style of the 30s-40s

Set –

Simple, one chair either side of the stage, lighting more important



(Rabbi enters hesitantly, nods.  Eastern European accent)
RABBI - Thank you, my friend, I'm glad you could see me.  It's funny, sometimes you, a 
priest, come to me, a rabbi, and now, I come to you for advice.  Life is strange, don't you think?

        (Listens, nods)

RABBI - A cup of tea would be nice.....and yes, something stronger would be nicer......

        (He paces)

RABBI -  It's funny, the ten commandments are interpreted differently ....for you, it is
'thou shalt not lie'...for us, thou shalt not bear false witness.....lying under oath is against the rules.....but a little white lie....a wife asks is her hat pretty.....yes, it is.....because why hurt her feelings?

(Sighs)  But at what point is it.....a lie.  Not little.  I told my mother a lie.  Yes, when I was child I told her lies, all children do, but I'm talking about now.....five years ago.

I lied to my mother......I told her that her son….....was alive.   (cont.)

There were three of us brothers......Yossel, the oldest, brought us all here to the United States, after my father died, before the war.

Yossel caught a fever one day, he was dead two days later.  Buried on a Friday.......my mother disintegrated....I thought she would die, too.  But Yossel left a wife, two small children, it kept her busy.

Then David moved to Hollywood, to go into the movies.  He was never as religious as the rest of us. 

        (He takes a sip of tea)

I got the phone call when I was preparing my sermon......the sermon was on carefulness.....to be careful while studying, to look at each word to find the meaning.  I remember because the call was to tell me my brother had been hit by a bus in Los Angeles.....dead.  A bus.  In New York, people are killed all the time by buses....but in Los Angeles?  Who knew they even had buses?

        (He puts his head in his hands)

I was going to tell her....I swear!  But she was still upset about Yossel.....and....I just couldn't.  I thought I would do it after I got back so I told her David needed to see me about a career move, and I was going to visit him.

David had given my number and address for emergencies.   So when I got there, it was easy to pretend he was still alive......

Who calls from 3000 miles?   Maybe one day, it will be cheaper to phone people up......but my mother never expected a phone call.  Even now.....But letters.......I wrote in David's handwriting....forged.....I did that when we needed papers before the war.....I was very good.....but the letters....how my mother loved them!

And because he was hit by a bus, there was a settlement from the city.  I took some of the money and sent it to my mother.  She was so proud to have a successful son/  And so I told her.....he had done well, and was moving.....to Israel.

She was very upset, but also very happy for him, especially when his letters told of his love for his new land.  Why didn\t he see her on the way to Israel?  Because he went via Hawaii....and Asia.......and he continued to send money......as a rabbi, I have many friends who travel....many people who helped in my deception......I told some of them, but not others.....the lie spreading like honey......catching me in its sweet stickiness....

Did I lie to just protect her?  Or did I lie because I was afraid she would be so hurt to know the truth?

        (Listens)

So what's the problem?  What is the problem.......the problem is.....my mother is dying.....a cancer eating her from the inside.....and she wants to see her son......one more time before she dies.....

What do I do, my friend?  Do I tell her the truth?  Or keep sending letters that say David is not well enough to travel?  Where will the lie end?

I'm sorry to burden you.....although I know you've heard much worse.......I suppose, it's hard for a rabbi to admit that he has made such a mistake.....or is it a mistake?  Has she been happier not knowing he's gone?  ......Or does she know?

I'm not asking for an answer now......we have a little time......just think about it, and let me know what you would do....if it was your mother......

          (He turns to leave, stops, looks back)

 When I was younger, I used to think that if I studied hard enough, I could learn anything.  But as I get older, I realize......the more I study, the less I know.  Perhaps one day, I will awaken to realize, that I know absolutely nothing.....about everything.....

(Lights down on him….they go up on his mother, moving slowly, she is not well.  Eastern European accent)


MOTHER - Thank you, Mona, for coming over.....I have a big favor to ask 
you.....have a seat, I'll get the girl to bring some coffee and pastry.....fresh from that new bakery....still good and maybe even warm!   (Sighs)  I'm tired.  

          (Waves her hand)

MOTHER - Don't worry about me....I'm not afraid.  It's my time soon.....I just....want to
....how can I tell you?  It's about a lie.  No, not a lie I told......
My son lied to me....he is lying to me every day.....

How do I know?  I know.

He told me that his brother, David.....you know the one who went to Israel......he tells me David is alive......when I know.....David is dead......

         (Puts up both hands)

You know what I mean!  David is dead for many years now....five I think.  How do I know that?  You have children, Mona, you know there is a fine string from our hearts to their heart.....and when that string breaks, you know.......I may not know the details, maybe I never want to know them....but one night, just before my son left for California to see David, I woke in a flash......and I knew I would never see David again.

My boy is a good boy, he sends me letters and checks....forgeries...all supposedly from David......and I know it's all a lie.....and by having to pretend he's still alive, by not having to grieve......I suppose I could not get depressed like when Yossel died....so I continue to pretend one day I will see him again.....and now I know that time is near.....

          (Listens)

What do I want you to say?  I want you to tell me if I should let him know....that I know.  So that the burden will be off his shoulders.......

This will be my last big decision before I die.........to tell or not to tell.....

           (She turns to look at the rabbi on the other side of the stage)

MOTHER -   Except for the other big decision.....what I am wearing to my own funeral?

         (She laughs as the lights freeze on her.  The Rabbi looks at his mother)

RABBI -  My friend, there is a prayer we say first thing in the morning, I think that’s why
they call it the morning prayer.  Modeh ani……..said when we first awaken, in
bed, before anything else…..It thanks God for restoring our soul. 

מוֹדֶה אֲנִי האשה אומרת: מודָה לְפָנֶיךָ מֶלֶךְ חַי וְקַיָּם שֶהֶחֱזַרְתָּ בִּי נִשְׁמָתִי בְחֶמְלָה, רַבָּה אֱמוּנָתֶךָ:

RABBI - I am thankful before You, living and enduring King,

MOTHER -…… for you have mercifully restored my soul within me. Great is Your
faithfulness.   How many more times…..

RABBI -  Will she be able to say that morning prayer?  But how……

MOTHER -  ……..do I tell him?  You would think, in families, there would be truth, but, no, perhaps it is easier to lie to those we love, we think it saves them….

RABBI -  From pain…
            (The Rabbi looks at his mother and she looks at him)

MOTHER – And then we find out……

RABBI -  …..maybe, there was no saving at all….Mama

MOTHER -  I have something

RABBI /MOTHER (Together)- ….. to tell you…..

            (They walk to each other and as the lights go out, they hug.  Blackout)

(------------------------------------

More about the morning prayer
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/morning-blessings/

--------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
















https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/morning-blessings/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good one. I like that she knows, but doesn't tell...