Sunday, January 20, 2019

Monologue Mania Day # 1792-1793-1794 Cell Phone of the Month by Janet S. Tiger (c) Jan. 20, 21, 22, 2019

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!

Today is Day # 1792-1794    To look at the other  titles - click here

  first   year - Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015   - now in year five - Feb. 14 - today!     
            
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.

Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #  1792-1793-1794 Cell Phone of the Month by Janet S. Tiger (c) Jan. 20, 21, 22, 2019

           
                             
CELL PHONE OF THE MONTH 
                                    by Janet S. Tiger ©
         © all rights reserved Jan. 15, 2019     tigerteam1@gmail.com



A true story…….


Setting 
Cell phone store outside

Characters
MRS. SUMMER – older, nicely dressed
KEITH – 20s, T-shirt with phone company name on it, hat

Time
 Now, very now

(MRS. SUMMER -older, dressed nicely -comes out of phone store. The young man – Keith, in his 20s, beanie cap, T-shirt, is closing the door, smiling.  She is holding phone, talking)


MRS. SUMMER -  Thank you!  I really appreciate your help, I mean this is the third bad phone
from your company, but you have been very nice, and I’m sure that this time is the lucky one!
KEITH – We are happy to help you in any way!

MRS. SUMMER -  I know, you stayed open an extra 10 minutes just for me!   Now, just to be
clear, this is guaranteed for another year, right?
KEITH – As long as you don’t submerge the phone, drop it from higher than 4 feet, or put it in
the microwave!

MRS. SUMMER -  I think I can still never do those things….
KEITH -  Well, thank you again for your patronage for….(looks at his clipboard)…the last 15
years.

MRS. SUMMER -  Bye!

         (The phone rings, she waves and takes the call as he locks the door behind her.)
MRS. SUMMER -  Honey!  It works!  I can hear you perfectly…..What?  (Louder)  Can you
hear me now?

            (She looks at the phone and starts pushing buttons)

MRS. SUMMER -  Maybe I pushed something…..can you hear me now?  Great?  What?  Now I
can’t hear you!  (Shakes phone, listens)  What happened?  Where’d you go?

            (Punches in number, listens)

MRS. SUMMER -  No network available?  I’m standing outside your damned store, what the
hell do you mean, no network available?

            (She turns around and tries to get the attention of the young man)

MRS. SUMMER -  Hey, you, mister!  (She looks at the paper)  You, Keith!  I can see you!  The
phone is not working!

(He pretends not to see her, then she knocks on the door, louder, until he finally –very reluctantly – comes to the door, and opens it a crack)

KEITH -  I’m sorry, but we’re closed now.
MRS. SUMMER – I know you’re closed!  I was the last customer!  I was here for two hours
while you tried to straighten up the mess that is my phone!  And it worked while I was in the store, BUT NOW IT HAS STOPPED WORKING!

KEITH – (Too calm)  I can see you’re frustrated….

MRS. SUMMER -  Really?  What gave you that clue?  The steam coming out of my ears?

KEITH -  What seems to be the problem now?

MRS. SUMMER -  Seems to be?  Seems to be?  What seems to be is that your NEW phone has
the same problems the old phone did!  It DOES NOT WORK!

KEITH -  (Doesn’t want to do this) I can’t let you in the store, we’ve locked up the
register…..but I can look at your phone…

MRS. SUMMER – (Looking around)  Is this a dream?  One of those bad dreams I get when the
phone acts extra weird?  Can you pinch me?

KEITH -  I’m sorry, but we are not allowed to touch our customers…..just their phones…..

            (She hands the phone to him, and he punches the buttons)

MRS. SUMMER -  You see, not working!

            (Keith takes the phone and pokes at it)

MRS. SUMMER -  (Getting more and more angry) You promised!  You said it was okay!  I am
hungry and tired and I want to go home!  This is insane….you know, in that movie Terminator, they have the computers taking over the world….but maybe, maybe they have already!  Maybe….maybe you’re a part of it….AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

(She backs away from him and runs off, horrified.  He watches her, then realizes he has her phone)

KEITH -  Wait, I have your…..

            (Shakes his head)

KEITH – (As Schwarzenegger would sound)  You’ll be back!.....

(He laughs, looks around, then, he takes out his phone, which looks a bit different and puts his tongue on it.)

KEITH -  Yeah, it’s me…….another one over the edge…..that’s the plan…..

(He now removes the hat he has on and we see on his head……antenna.  He laughs as he exits)

KEITH – One at a time…..that’s all it takes……

            (The end…….. of our civilization as we know it)


----------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8