Sunday, September 28, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 228 by Janet S. Tiger A Birthday Unpresent Sept. 28, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 228 by Janet S. Tiger A Birthday Unpresent Sept. 28, 2014  
                                        
                                  A Birthday Unpresent
                                A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com 

              (A woman rolls onstage with a walker.  She walks slowly, and is very sad.  She looks up, shades her eyes and shakes her head.)
I know you people want to talk with me.....I can feel you out there.  My life is in your hands.  
            (Takes a deep breath)
Yes, I know.  My name is Enid Walker Johnson.  (Quickly, she's done this before)  Today is Wednesday, June 7th, and the year is 2011.  The President is Obama, and I can draw a picture of a clock with the time on it, although I broke my pinky finger last month, so it is difficult to do straight lines.

And I know why I am here - my son, Richard Johnson, wants me committed, because he thinks I'm nuts.

        (She turns the walker around and sits on the walker's seat)

You'll have to forgive me, at 95 years of age, I can only stand for a few minutes.  And I can only stand all this crap for a very few minutes!

Do you have any idea what this is doing to me?  I have one son who just died - on my birthday, no less, on his way......(hard to say).....to my birthday party!  And he was the son who was supposed to be here today to defend me  against his brother!

Isn't this enough?  Do you think I wanted to see my children die before me?

Am I crazy?  Maybe I should be!

But the saddest part is....I'm not.  

I can feel everything and I know exactly what happened........Terrence was driving on the freeway, and he stopped to help someone who had been in an accident.  And he must've been standing too close to the lanes of traffic, when a truck went by, and the wind....the wind from the truck pushed my Terry into the traffic, and he was hit by four cars!  And it was all over the news, and at my party, we wondered why Terry hadn't come, and someone had a television on, and everyone was watching this horrible accident, and then someone said, 'doesn't Terry drive a Ford Explorer?'

And my life stopped!  How's that for a birthday unpresent?

We watched the news until we got the call from the hospital.........
And now, you think your commission will get me all scared waiting for your call, whether I should be put into some fine institution for the nutcases of my generation!
Well, I have news for you all....I may be 95 on the outside, but on the inside, I am 25, and I will fight you - and my last son - with every ounce of energy I have.  

         (She stands and turns the walker to leave, stops, looks back)

And one last thing...... you can all just kiss my ass.
          (She laughs and walks off, but we can see her looking up and saying...)
How'd you like that, Terry?  I told you I'd show 'em!

          (The end - but not the end of Enid by a long shot)


--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
--------------------------------------------------------





No comments: