Monday, September 8, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 208 by Janet S. Tiger Flowers for Jerry Sept. 8, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
       ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 208 by Janet S. Tiger Flowers for Jerry Sept. 8, 2014
      
                                                  Flowers for Jerry 
                                 A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com 


            (The woman comes out dressed all in black.  She is older, but not finished yet. She holds flowers,  looks down)

Hello, Jerry.

          (Shakes her head)

I'm sorry it had to end this way, too.

But you wanted it like this.  You signed those papers about how if you were on life support, you didn't want to be a vegetable.  Now you're just......vegetable matter.  I guess all that matters is.....just like in life, you got what you wanted.

Hope you're happy.

         (She puts down the flowers.)

I don't know why people bring flowers to graves.  I guess it gives us something to do.  After all, what else could we bring?  I doubt books make more sense, or chocolate cake.

Although, I don't know, what's the difference?  Whatever we leave out here rots, right along with all the bodies.

Something I still don't get....in all those papers, why didn't you leave your body to science?  I mean, it would have saved me some money, but it might've have had some scientific value .....(bitter)...maybe they could've learned something about how a man who drank a bottle of Scotch every day for over 65 years could still function enough to wake up in the morning.

Of course, it was morning when you got hit by that car, so maybe you weren't drunk enough yet to survive an accident like that.  (Remembering)  Not like the first accident, when I was pregnant with Andy, and you were smashed, and driving, and I begged you to go slower.......and we both went through the window....and you...you didn't have a scratch on you.

       (She touches her face)

I still have the scars.....

Of course, those aren't the only scars, are they?  Most of them are on the inside.

Those only show to God.

And I don't think he's paying much attention to me now.  Not after last week.

       (Sighs)

Pulling the plug.  I mean, I know I could've argued with it, not told them about your last requests.

Not shown the papers.

(Cold)  But I wanted them to know.

I wanted them to pull the plug.

        (She kneels down)

You see, Jerry, I knew a lot of things you never thought I did.  I knew about that girl in Washington, where you went on business so much.  And that baby she had.

I knew a lot.

       (She stands up)

And I felt you squeeze my hand.  I knew you were still in there, Jerry, but I didn't care anymore.  You know why?  Because I just couldn't take any more.

Enough.  I guess ....I pulled the plug long before they did.

      (She turns to go, then stops, turns back, leans over, picks up the flowers)

And I guess, you don't really need these, either.

       (She exits.  The end...for Jerry, not for her.)

      
       

--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
----------------------------------------------


No comments: