Monday, September 8, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 207 by Janet S. Tiger The Devil Speaks Sept. 7, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
       ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monologue Mania Day # 207 by Janet S. Tiger The Devil Speaks Sept. 7, 2014
      
           Note - This monologue is the response to Day # 206, Interview with the Devil Sept. 6, 2014   
                                 The Devil Speaks
                                 A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com 

         (The reporter, Diane Walter, listens as the sheriff speaks, and then takes a cigarette and lights it, smiling)

Well, Sheriff, I am impressed.  Sometimes I forget that people can put me under a microscope, maybe because no one ever does.  

         (She puts her head back and starts to laugh, coughing a bit as she does.)

But you have, and you have done a damned good job....for a sheriff.  And as for being the devil, why do you think I wore this blue dress?

         (They laugh together, and she reaches over to touch his hand.)

Did you, by any chance, find out anything about my childhood, too?

Wait, don't tell me, it was hard to find.  Well, that is a bit intentional, too.  I really don't like people knowing too much about me.

But you are right, this is not my usual story interest.  And I truly doubt if the family-type publications I usually sell to will have any interest in this story....so I may have to peddle it to a bigger place, the New Yorker, for example.  I will give them the chance to turn me down yet again.

That's not answering your question, though, is it?  What brought me here?  All right, after saving my life, or at least my possessions, I think you've earned the right to know a bit more about Diane Walters.

No, my real name is Walters, which is perhaps why you found it hard to find some of my past.  Even on Google, spelling sometimes counts.

My father was killed when I was fifteen.....

        (She nods)

I’m sure you found that, didn't you?  Simple story.  It was foggy, he was out late, drinking.....A car ran him over, and he died.  He was a decent guy, not much in the way of compliments, but he loved me, and I knew that.

Funny thing about death, sometimes it makes life suddenly clearer, like when the optometrist  adjusts one little thing, and everything up on the wall comes into focus.

It wasn't hit 'n run, the man stopped, he was not charged because ......

         (Takes a deep breath, hard to say)

My Dad had on dark clothing, so it was hard to see him.....with the fog and all.  And my Dad was a little tipsy.....so he probably wasn't as alert.  Very clearly….an accident.  Nothing to investigate, nothing to wonder about.

         (Takes another draw on the cigarette.)

But I had a feeling, a funny feeling ....from the very beginning, when I saw my mother and the police officers.  I mean, she did cry, and she was upset, it was all very....normal.  But for me, there was a strange note about it, like she was acting.

The man who hit my Dad, who ran him over, he was a stranger.  My Mom had never met him before.....but he was nice, and after a respectable amount of time, they started dating, and....they got married.

I graduated and left home to go to journalism school at Hunter......and I wondered.  Did he know her from before the accident?  Why would I think this?  Was there anything concrete?  Anything I had heard or seen?  I never understood why I wondered, but I did wonder why I never did any research.  I suppose, I didn't really want to know.

          (Crushes out the stub)

So when I saw the article in the paper about the poor Rodriguez family.....yes, I do read a lot of weird papers because I never know where I'll get a good idea.......when I saw this, I knew.  Just like you are sure it's Jorge, I'm sure it wasn't him that pulled the trigger.  I spoke with Jorge, and this man is not a killer. 

          (Holds up her hand)

Now, you could be right about him knowing who it was, but I am putting my money…… on his wife.  I will bet good money she knows everything, including where that gun is.......and I'm just as sure she had nothing to do with someone trying to burn out my motel room.  

But murder, she knows that.  She won't talk to me much, even with an interpreter.......and that is a tip off.  People who don't want to talk, are afraid of what they'll say...which is why I'm gonna shut up now, Sheriff, before I say something I will regret tomorrow.

          (She stands up, takes her purse.)

But I will take you up on that kind offer to stay at your house for tonight.  I really do not want to go home to that motel.....not for a day or two.

        (She tilts her head to listen then laughs)

I said I didn't want to say something I would regret - but I certainly don't mind doing things I regret!  That's why I have had such a memorable life.....

        (She takes the sheriff's hat and puts it on her head, then takes his hand and they exit.  End of scene)


       

--------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
----------------------------------------------


No comments: