Thursday, May 8, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #85 by Janet S. Tiger Sunday Prayers (c) 2014



Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!  
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down. 
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - click here.  
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, click here
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com

Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site!

--------------------------------------
May 8, 2014 Day #85 Monologue Mania by Janet S. Tiger  Sunday Prayers (c) 2014  

                                                
                                         Sunday Prayers
                                                    by Janet S. Tiger
                                             © 2014 all rights reserved
                                                 tigerteam1@gmail.com

               (A pastor comes out onstage.  He has the turned around collar, but other than that, he is dressed casually, maybe even a Hawaiian shirt and slightly longer hair.  He has a small prayer book in one hand, which he holds up.)

Time to put this away for a moment….

            (He puts the prayer book into a pocket.)

……and answer a prayer some of you might have every Sunday.  This is going to be a very short sermon!    Wait, that’s not true…..there will be NO sermon today!

How’s that for God answering requests immediately?

And I am leaving the other announcements to our very capable President, Mr. Finchley. 

I am happy to also report this will be my last Sunday as the pastor of this lovely church.  

            (Stops for the expression of surprise he expected)

I will be here this week, to introduce the new pastor to everyone, but I purposely did not give any notice, as I did not want any prolonged crying…….or ceremonies for that matter!

My joy in being here is matched by my new assignment, which I have worked for – as you all know- for many years.

There, in a distant land, I will be able to bring my hands to help those who have never had the pleasure of my sermons……

Not that my sermons aren’t always scintillating, but I wanted to do something different today, I wanted to go directly to our congregational prayers for family, friends and the world.

            (He takes a deep breath, he is very happy)

I’m doing this because I am so very pleased to report that I will end my days here on a beautiful note – I just received some very good news – a family we have been praying for, a family with a child who was hit and seriously injured, has had some of their prayers answered.  The little girl, Suzanne, is out of danger.  She will be in the hospital for a few more weeks to recuperate, but because of her age, they expect a complete recovery!  And we all say AMEN!

The family wants to thank you all for your prayers and help during this time.
And I want to thank you all for being such good…pray-ers.
That’s what today is about – we are going to pray for ourselves – for the strength to make our lives into prayers…into blessings….– in other words, we are the pray –er.

We come together each Sunday to pray for others – and we are amazingly successful.  People are healed from illnesses, families find homes when they are in terrible want, children find the strength to fight off crippling addictions, and those who face death are given the help they need to transition. 

 We have seen the power of prayer.  And now, as we sit together again, I am asking everyone to bow their heads and say a prayer….for yourselves.  I want you all to know that you deserve these prayers.  We start with ourselves, and then it spreads.  Like the sunshine, like light itself. The power of being a ‘pray-er’ – is immense.

It fills our very souls with light.

And before I turn this into a sermon – surprise, you didn’t really think I could stop talking, could you? – I ask you all to join me in a prayer for ourselves, and for all those who need a prayer at this time……..Thank you……all of you pray-ers!......for the prayers…..

            (He bows his head and exits.)

The end – but not the end of prayers!




           
             
                 

Janet S. Tiger    858-274-9678
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8



No comments: