Sunday, August 17, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 186 by Janet S. Tiger Pancakes Aug.17, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
                            

-------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day  # 186  by Janet S. Tiger  Pancakes   Aug.17, 2014
                                                     Pancakes
                                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com


            (A  man wearing a hat from the 1940s comes onstage with a big smile and a very large napkin, a fork in one hand, knife in the other)

I've never seen a place like this before!   It's the most beautiful place in the whole world!

           (He looks around)

(Bursting with joy)  Pancakes!  I love pancakes!  You just gotta love pancakes!  They are simple, and simply delicious!  And they are good with butter, and with syrup, or all alone!  Three different ways to eat a simple pancake!   And this is a whole restaurant just for......pancakes!

            (His eyes light up, someone is putting pancakes on the table in front of him.  He sniffs in the delicious aroma.)

Mmmmmm!  They smell better than they look!  And they look sensational!

           (He puts on butter and pours some syrup on, cuts a big piece and looks at it with admiration)

You are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!

          (He puts the bite in his mouth and is in ecstacy, finishing the rest quickly and lifting his plate.)

May I please have some more?

           (He takes the next plate even faster, reaches into his pocket for some money, which he leaves on the table.)

What time do you close?

          (Listens)

Eight o'clock - that's fantastic!  I get off work at 5:30 pm and I can be here in five minutes!  I'll have more than two hours to eat more pancakes!

           (Listens)

So you open early, too?  Oh, my God, I must've died and gone to heaven!  Pancakes morning noon and night!

          (Listens, smiles)

Yes, sir, it's my first job away from home, and if I want to eat pancakes all day, that's just what I'm gonna do!

          (He exits, and now re-enters, without the hat, eating more pancakes, fast, still smiling, and repeats this again with the hat tilted back until you see he is starting to slow down a bit.
He staggers off, removing the hat, smiling)
And I did, I had pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a whole week!  It was one of the best weeks of my life! 

Pancakes are my favorite food, and my mother would only make them on Sundays, before church, so when I got to Philadephia, and there it was, the Pancake Cafe.....right down the street from my first job.....I ate until I was ready to burst!

           (He puts the hat on, he is older now)

(Quieter)  That was the beginning of December....it was cold and the pancakes were always hot!  It was December .....of 1941.  On Dec. 7th, after Pearl Harbor, I had a big plate of pancakes and then I took the train and went home to New Jersey and enlisted.....and I didn't have a decent pancake until after the war.......Sometimes, I think of that place....and how I ate pancakes for a whole week!

And I tell my friends and that includes all of you!  Find yourself a pancake and eat it!  And then eat as many as you want!

         (He turns to go and looks back)

 Because you never know when there's gonna be a war!

         (He exits, laughing and we hear him almost singing)

Pancakes!  You gotta love them pancakes!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Note- Thanks, Dad, for a great story about pancakes! 



Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
----------------------------------------------

No comments: