Friday, August 1, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 170 by Janet S. Tiger Mixed Marriage (c) Aug. 1, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note:
 A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
                            

-------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day # 170    by Janet S. Tiger  A Mixed Marriage Aug. 1, 2014                                       
                                   
                                  Mixed Marriage
                                           A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com        

               (A man comes on with hands deep in pockets, deep in thought, looks up, brightens, then drops head.)


Yes, it is good to see you, too, but after I say what I have to say, you may not think it anymore....

             (Waves his hand to stop the other)

Please!  Don't say anything until I've had a chance!  You did the proposing, but now I have to do the refusing....

            (Holds up hand again)

Wait!  I love how impulsive you are!  That's something that attracted me to you, because I'm so .... ....conservative.  But now, I have to be the one who thinks first....

           (Listens)

Of course I love you!  If I didn't love you this wouldn't be so hard!  (Smiles)  And that is no pun intended, although we both know it was..... (Takes a deep breath) .....But seriously, love or not, hard or not.......I can't marry you.......Please don't cry!  .....Oh, I can't take it when a man cries!

           (Turns away)

I loved you from the first time I saw you, in the parade.  You were handing out T-shirts to celebrate our legal successes throughout these last fifty years…….I can still see you wearing that T-shirt, you were sweating, it was stuck to your chest…….and I just felt like….well, like …..I can’t even describe that moment still! 

And that’s what this whole relationship has been like – a mystical, unexplainable ride in an amusement park.   I mean, we were always so different.  You had been out for years, and I had just come out.  And this last few months has been like a dream, but…..dreams end, and you go home from the wonderful day at the park…..and reality sets in……

        (Gets upset, raises his hands)

Oh, no, just because we’re different colors doesn’t bother me at all!  And the fact you were always out and I have a straight family, that’s really not what worries me…..

I just don't think it's smart to be in a......mixed marriage......(quickly) …. I know we're both Protestant, and you know that's not what I meant......I just think......I mean, I just don't think that Democrats and Republicans should live under the same roof!

             (He turns to go, looks back)

But maybe we can still be friends after election year!

            (He exits, the end…..until elections are over.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: