Friday, August 15, 2014

Monologue Mania Day # 184 by Janet S. Tiger Ella's Side of the Story Aug.15, 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
                            

-------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day  # 184  by Janet S. Tiger Ella's Side of the Story  Aug.15, 2014
     
                                   Ella's Side of the Story
                                         A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com  




           (Ella comes front and center.  All eyes are on her as she looks at T and rubs her hands together.  She stands straight, then swallows hard and opens her mouth.  Nothing comes out.  She takes another deep breath, and yes, she, too, has a Southern accent.)

I don't mind writin these stories down.  And I don't mind T sharin these stories.  But the only person on this earth who has ever heard me tell this story is...T.

You heard about ……the fingers.  Well, it started when I made a mistake.

       (She takes a deep breath)

Funny after all these years how hard it is to admit that.  But it’s true.  A mistake that is still affectin us all these years later……

My daughter, Lena, went to help out at Fitzhugh’s place startin when she was eleven.  I knew the rumors about him, but we needed the money for Lena’s brother’s operation on his feet.  So I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have.

So I ended up payin in the end.

And Lena paid more.  And we are still payin for my mistake.

You see, Lena was a good girl, and she liked Mr. Fitzhugh, who gave her not only money, but candy, and the attention she never got from her own Daddy, who left when she was nine.

So when I found out what was goin on……well, the rest you know about, except for Lena.  She didn’t know what was gonna happen, so when she didn’t have her time of the month, I knew.  And I sent her away up north, to Detroit.  Nowadays it’s different.  Movie stars and people in the hair place all have babies that have no daddies, and there is no shame anymore.  But that’s what people did in those days, they went away, so no one would know what happened.

So I sent Lena to stay with my sister.  And I went over to Mr. Fitzhugh and told him what happened, and he was drunk.  And he didn’t care.  And I took that knife and chopped off his fingers because that way, everyone would know what he’d been doin.

Because people already knew.  And no one tried to stop him, ‘cept me and my knife.

           (She wipes her eyes)

 So Lena, my 14-year-old baby,  had a baby.  Mr. Fitzhugh’s baby.  A lovely baby boy.  And it was a lovely color, like caramel in milk.  And my sister knew a woman who couldn’t have babies, and that woman raised this beautiful little boy and he grew up into a very handsome young man…..

          (She puts her hand on T’s arm.)

…………who is now married to T’s granddaughter,……your daughter, Vivien.  And so, because of the fact that my Lena liked her candy……we are all related by blood.

Your daughter is carrying T’s and my blood, and that is the future of this family.

          (She turns to sit down, looks back)

Maybe, just maybe, I didn’t make such a bad mistake……

         (She sits heavily, lights down on this scene)








--------------------------------------------------------------


Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8
----------------------------------------------

No comments: