Saturday, August 2, 2014

Monologue Mania Day #171 by Janet S. Tiger Guilty Aug. 2 , 2014

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!
Note:
 A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info.

 If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to 
http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down.
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - 
click here.
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, 
click here

Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this sit
e
                            

-------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #171     by Janet S. Tiger  Guilty  Aug. 2 , 2014                                       
                                   
                                        Guilty
                                                        (from Crime)
                               A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved
                                                     tigerteam1@gmail.com        



           (A man is seen with flowers, which he puts on a grave.)
   
You probably know all this, but ..... your mother left me.  She knows the truth.



     (Hangs his head)

 The police they.....they caught a guy, he's in jail now. 

 But we all know I'm....I'm the guilty one.  

I remember one time you were taking a bath and I didn't realize you were in there and the door wasn't locked so I opened the door, and it was, you know, embarrassing.  I mean, I didn't see anything, but, boy, the cops, they asked me all kinds of really bad questions about that.

Did I really make a mistake, or did I know you were in there?  What (says it with a nasty touch) exactly did I see?  Do I like to look at pictures of young girls?  (He is revolted by this.)

I took a lie detector test - not once, not twice, but five times.  They asked me about...(hard to say)  your underwear.  Had I ever touched it?  (Like to the police)  Sure, when I folded the wash.  I touched everyone's underwear.  How do you fold the underwear without touching it?

It was the worst time of my life - with the exception of the day I came and I knew something was wrong.  You were usually home on time.  A couple times, you went to your friend's house, what was her name?  Tiffany?  Britanny?  Annie?..... without telling us, but you got grounded for that, so you'd been good.

 But this was different. You were supposed to call either me or your mother. (He checks his phone.)   That's what the damn cell phones are for...but nothing.  (He goes to an answering machine, presses a button, listens, is horrified.)  Oh my God, you weren't at school!

         (He is truly distraught)

You were late getting up, and I had to leave for work.  I was just trying to be a good parent, trying to show you that there are consequences.  When you get up late, you have to walk to school.....so you did.  And you got a ride from that guy, and now.....

         (He indicates the grave)

Now, you're here.

And they have some guy in jail forever because he did those.....(hard to say)....horrible things and he killed you, but....we both know.....I should've waited for you.....I should've been late for work.......

          (He turns to go, looks back)

Guilty.....(laughs, bitter)....he may have been convicted, but this sentence is for life......

          (He exits, end of scene.)



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           

Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: