Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Monologue Mania Day # 1733 The Story Collector (opening) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Nov. 14, 2018

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
Today is Day # 1731 To look at the other 1730 titles - click here
  first   year - Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016  fourth year Feb. 14, 2017 Feb. 13, 2018  - now in year five - Feb. 14 - today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #  1733 The Story Collector (opening) by Janet S. Tiger (c) Nov. 14,  2018

                                            The Story Collector
                                                     by Janet S. Tiger
                                             tigerteam1@gmail.com

         (The story collector enters.  The actor will decide the rest)

(Very surprised)  What?

Why am I here?

Because I heard there was a good story!  And so I came because.....as you must know by now with my reputation preceding me......

I am the story collector!

Stories big and small!   Old and new!  Whoppers and true!  Funny and boo-hoo!

I do not choose the stories, they choose me.....I merely sense where a good story exists and I am drawn like the tides, like iron to a magnet.....like women to chocolate......

Why stories?  Because they take up less room than books!  Books are heavy and get wet and you can burn them.....but stories.....they fill my heart and soul!  And when I give them away, they multiply!  I  give them, yet I keep them and yet ......suddenly.....there are more and more!

And here's why we humans love stories.  Oh, I am not interested in the obvious, because they are funny or sad or connect us with each other....no....

Stories are....practice.  That's right.  Practice, rehearsal.......

Stories are preparation......for death.

Think about it.  Beginning, middle, end.

Such is a story, such is a  life.

All of our events, holidays....everything that has a beginning, middle and end is preparing us for the end of this life.

Stories are one of the main reasons we are different than animals!  Have you ever seen any animal who sits down and shares a good tale with his family?  No.  They are not preparing for the end because ......they live in the moment.

For you see, animals do not mark time .....because they do not know their time is marked......

We humans want to know, we want to experience what we cannot yet understand.....so we have a calendar......and holidays......and every meal, every book, every movie.....all with beginnings, middles....and ends.....the same with this introduction.

Because now that you know why we like stories, need stories......invent and share and love a good story!....it's time......for me to share.....my story, how I began to collect stories even in my mother's womb.......

           (Turns to leave, stops, looks back)

And then, we will share.......your story.....

           (Lights down, beginning of the story)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8