Thursday, April 24, 2014

MONOLOGUE MANIA Day # 71 by Janet S. Tiger (c) all rights reserved Apr. 24, 2014 I Never Promised You A Chalk Garden

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free monologue a day
                                                                        - for a whole year!  

If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues, please
scroll down for the previous days or go to http://www.monologuestore.com/ -click on the Monologue Mania button please scroll down. 
     To start at the beginning - Feb. 13, - click here.  
     For a list of the blurbs from each day, click here
Help  a playwright and get  more great  award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com

Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 Apr. 24, 2014 Day #71 Monologue Mania by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2014
I Never Promised You a Chalk Garden
-------------------------------                    

                                        I Never Promised You a Chalk Garden
                                                  by Janet S. Tiger

                                       © 2014 all rights reserved
                                                tigerteam1@gmail.com

             (A young man walks onstage, he is dressed in a suit and tie, obviously nervous, trying to seem calm)


CHALKER -  (Quiet for a moment, he holds up a piece of chalk)  Firsts.  You know, I’ve never done this before, give a summation in front of a jury. It’s a little nerve-wracking, but here goes.  Firsts.  This whole event has been a series of firsts for me.  Never been arrested, never had a mug shot, a body-cavity search.  All new things.  But I guess that’s part of life, new things.  .  I never did graffiti before – never protested anything.  These are all firsts.  Some good, some not so pleasant – but I remember the first time a teacher taught us about the First Amendment.

Mrs. Hendricks, in 4th grade, she made us memorize a lot of stuff.  The Gettysburg Address, the Preamble, the Bill of Rights.  What a waste of time, I thought then.  But not now.  She may be gone – and all the people who wrote those words may be gone, but those words are still strong- (quoting, he takes out a piece of paper)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or…..(louder)  … abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That is what I did.  I expressed myself with a piece of chalk – now I may not remember the first time I used a piece of chalk – I was a kid.  I wrote on the sidewalk, it was something I did, like walking, talking- you’d don’t remember your first word, your first step. 

But what I did in front of that bank – I remember.  And I did it because I was mad that no one else seemed to care!  My friends lost their house because these banks did things they should have gone to jail for – unfortunately, you can’t put a bank in jail.  But you can let people know!  (Gets very emphatic)  And that’s what I was doing!  I was letting the world know what was going on – and that’s what our forefathers wanted to protect when they wrote these words!  They knew that words have power, that’s why they protected us when we speak, and when we make signs, and use chalk!

(He now takes the paper and puts it on the floor, takes his chalk and draws a circle.)

And if you convict me, you will be drawing a chalk-line around the First Amendment.

(He turns to sit down.)

Thank you.

Janet S. Tiger    858-274-9678
www.JanetSTiger.weebly.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

I like this! Another first is defending himself, right?