Monday, December 10, 2018

Monologue Mania Day # 1752-1758 The Gift of the Magic (one-act for Christmas) (c) Dec. 10-16, 2018

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
Today is Day # 1752-58 To look at the other  titles - click here
  first   year - Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015 - now in year five - Feb. 14 - today!                 
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #  1752-1758 The Gift of the Magic (one-act for Christmas) (c) Dec. 10-16, 2018

                     The Gift of the Magic
                      by Janet S. Tiger © Dec. 8, 2018 all rights reserved


Characters –
JODY  - female 20s nice-looking
ANNOUNCER – Voice on TV  (not seen)
SHAWN – 20s male nice-looking, a bit bedraggled
POLICE OFFICER – (not seen)

Setting –
Living room today - young people live in this home.  Not rich, but not poor.

            (JODY enters, she is shaking her head, looking at cell)

JODY (Annoyed)-  I thought we were gonna go to dinner, where are you Shawn?  Jeez!  Never
on time…..

         (She turns on computer/TV, we hear announcer)

ANNOUNCER -  And now in the international news, blah, blah, blah
JODY -  Figures….
ANNOUNCER-  In Washington…..blah, blah, blah…..unstable political situation
JODY -  Does anything ever change?
ANNOUNCER -  And in the local news…..
JODY -  Blah, blah, blah
ANNOUNCER -  That’s my line…blah, blah, blah!
JODY -  Sorry…
ANNOUNCER- That’s ok, this next is funny…..take a look at the video of a burglar that decided
to use a pet door!

            (Jody looks and starts laughing)

JODY -  Oh, my God!  What an idiot!
ANNOUNCER –  If you are watching this and saying ‘what an idiot’ we are not surprised!  But
wait, the owner had a video camera, so if you know who this person is, please call the police…

JODY -  How stupid can one person….oh my God!  That can’t be….
            (She takes a fast screen shot on her phone, looks closely)
ANNOUNCER -  This guy even did a close-up and smiled!
            (Jody is horrified and we hear laughter from the announcer and other reporters)
ANNOUNCER -  I think this guy could be up for one of those prizes on that show – ‘World’s
Dumbest Crooks!’  (There is more laughter )  And now, for the sports news….blah, blah, blah wins a close one!

            (Jody shuts down the TV in shock)

JODY – I can’t believe it!  Our first Christmas together and he is going to be in jail!
(She puts her hands over her face and starts to cry, then stands up straight and is now furious)
JODY -  How dare he!  I just ordered that surfboard!  He cannot do this to me!
            (We hear a key in the lock and Jody struggles with how to react. 
She decides on calm to start – a very fake calm which Shawn does not notice as he enters, a bit bedraggled)

JODY -  (Fake smiling)  Hi, honey…..did you have a good time with your buddies?

SHAWN – (Trying to remember his story)  Oh, uh, yeah, we had fun at the….movies…..
JODY -  Good….whadja see?
SHAWN -  (Thinking fast)  That new, uh, Harry Potter one that you didn’t want go to….
JODY -  Tell me ALL about it..
SHAWN -  (Struggling)  Oh, you know, magic crap…..stuff like that…..
JODY -  Yeah, I would’ve hated it, right?
SHAWN – (Relieved)  Oh, yeah, big time.
JODY -  So what happened to your shirt….
SHAWN – Oh, you, know, I spilled some soda on it….
            (He takes it off, she grabs it and sniffs)
JODY -  Yeah, smells like soda…….KaKa Cola…..dog kaka…..
            (Shawn looks at her and she holds the shirt to him)
SHAWN – (Hunting for an answer)  I fell in something…..
JODY -  You mean, like…..CRAWLING THROUGH A DOGGIE DOOR?
            (She holds up the phone to him and he looks, his jaw drops)
SHAWN -  Oh, shit!
JODY -  Truly……
            (He hangs his head)
JODY – Do you have anything to say?
SHAWN -  Well, it’s not a good picture…..it doesn’t even look like me….
            (She just stares at him)
SHAWN -  (Sighs)  Okay, maybe….I made a little mistake….
JODY -  Mistake?  Are you crazy?  A mistake is when you forget to leave out the empty bottles
on delivery day……A mistake is when you told my mother – who is a go-to-church every-Sunday, head-of-the- choir woman – when you told her that I was living with you!  This….this is a…..a…(sputters)
SHAWN –(Trying to be helpful) Big mistake?
JODY -  Amazing!  Have you forgotten that this is our first Christmas together, our first
            Christmas living together…..and what if they catch you?

SHAWN -  They’re not gonna catch me…..I’ll wear sunglasses, see? 
            (He pulls out a pair from his pocket)
SHAWN – And I’m gonna grow my hair long…..and maybe dye it another color…..
JODY -  Maybe pink, so you won’t be so conspicuous…..like when you put your face up against
the damned video camera!

            (She waves the cell phone at him and he pulls away)

SHAWN -  Look, I don’t know what came over me…..I found out how much money you owe on
your credit card, and I wanted to help pay it off!  I thought if I went into a rich person’s house they’d have something they wouldn’t miss…

JODY -  Like money?

SHAWN -  I didn’t break in, I just…..crawled in…..not so bad right?
JODY – And whaddaya you mean, to pay my credit card?  How do you know what I owe….
SHAWN -  They called up from the credit card company to see if it was you who charged that
much for a ….a surfboard…..

JODY -  I can’t believe they told you!

SHAWN -  Why’d you have to do that? We promised each other no big gifts!
            (She turns away, sighs)
JODY -  Because you love to surf and your surfboard was stolen!  And with your new job and all
that stress, I know how much you miss surfing!  Did you not think you might lose this job if they find out you are the doggie door bandit?

SHAWN -  How will they find out?  It’s Christmas, no one watches the news in December…..
            (He goes to her and holds her, she pulls away at first, then allows him to hug her)
SHAWN -  I’m sorry.  I don’t know what I was thinking….
JODY -  Somehow, I can believe that. 
SHAWN – But ….  I mean, I love you and I wanted to get you something nice, but I don’t get
my first check until January, and I figured, this way, I could…I don’t know, help with the bills now?

JODY -  So, you didn’t steal anything?

SHAWN -  Nah, I’m not a good thief.  I had no idea where to look, and the dog was really nice,
not mean at all…..I liked playing with him……I almost left a card from the Vet Clinic where you work, but I decided it might not be a good idea……

            (There is a knock at the door.  They freeze)

VOICE -  It’s the police, is anyone home?
            (They are petrified, Shawn looks to hide, but Jody stops him)
JODY -  Maybe they’ll go easy on you because it’s, you know, Christmas?
            (They sigh and he sits on the couch, his head in his hands, Jody goes to the door)
JODY -  Coming….
            (She goes to the door, opens it.)
JODY -  Oh, my God….
VOICE – Is there a Shawn Thompson here?
JODY -  Shawn?
            (Shawn takes a deep breath and walks slowly to the door.)
VOICE- This was found and had ID on the bottom, is this yours?
            (Shawn comes back in holding a surfboard, and we hear Jody almost crying)
JODY -  Thank you officer!  Merry Christmas!
            (She closes the door, leans on it and sighs heavily)
JODY -  That was scary!
SHAWN -  Oh yeah……but it all worked out great!
            (Shawn is hugging the board)
SHAWN -  Oh, baby, I never thought I’d see you again!
JODY – (A little irritated)  I hope you treat me the same after ten years!
            (He pulls her over to hug her, too)
JODY – Wow - I can cancel the order on that surfboard!
SHAWN – And I can….maybe if you go with me, I can.go back to that family and
apologize for breaking in…..maybe, since I didn’t take anything, they’ll forgive me…..

            (Jody hugs him)
JODY -  This reminds me of a story we read in school…..about a girl who cuts off her hair to
buy her husband something for his watch……

SHAWN -  Yeah, I remember that one….the gift of the magic….

JODY -  That was….’The Gift of the Magi!’
SHAWN -  Uh, uh, I remember it really clearly….about this guy who sells his watch…..it was
kinda dumb, I mean, who uses watches anymore?  But it was nice, all about how much they loved each other…..the gift of the magic….

JODY -  That was THE GIFT OF THE MAGI!

SHAWN – I can’t help it if somebody couldn’t spell!
            (Jody shakes her head)
SHAWN -  Merry Christmas, baby…… because you know….love is magic…..
            (He kisses her…..but not the end of magic…or love!)

             
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

No comments: