Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Monologue Mania Day #859 Who's Whining Now? For Caregivers Anonymous (original and 30 second version) by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 20, 2016


Something's going a little weird on this blog - this was first posted
Posted: 20 Jun 2016 11:54 PM PDT
Then it disappeared, and then I got it back - sorry for any confusion.  June 21 is next!
Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!
            first year -  Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015  second year -  Feb. 13, 2015 - Feb. 12, 2016  third year -  Feb. 13, 2016 -  today!           *********                                                        
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop, so if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.
If you just started this blog and want to read the earlier monologues- for a list of the titles and blurbs from each                                                                                                                                              day, click here  There are now over 850!
 
Get  more great  award-winning monologues - 
MonologueZone.com
 If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site.  Wishing you much success!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #859 Who's Whining Now? For Careguvers Anonymous (original and 30 second  version) by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 20,  2016
                                           
                                                 Who's Whining Now? 
                                        For CAREGIVERS ANONYMOUS        
                                      A monologue by Janet S. Tiger   © all rights reserved  June 20, 2016                                                                                           tigerteam1@gmail.com

            (Woman walks onstage, she takes the wheelchair)

Stubborn.  My Dad refuses to get into one of these. It takes him 10 minutes to walk to the car, but he will not get into the....chair!  Like it's an electric chair or something.....when I said that to him he smiled and told me if it was an electric chair, he would  get in!

(Sighs)  After my husband left me, I came back to where we all grew up by the ocean.  Mom's gone, and my sis is the only one left here to take care of Dad, and she was busy with her husband's business after he  got sick, so I told her, fine, I'll help.

I thought to myself...after all the years of hearing you complain about how much work it is.....I'll show you!  So I came back.....and now I get to be with my Dad two days a week.....he told me to my face that's all he could take of me, so....two days a week it is.

I'm exhausted!  I had no idea taking care of someone .....took so much energy!  I mean, it's not like I'm digging a ditch....which I would never do anyways....but all we do is go to the doctor, and some days we visit one of his friends, in the hospital no less.

And I cook and clean a bit, and a little shopping.  I do hate shopping for others - so hard to get things like fruits when you have to pick through so many to find the perfect one!

But my sis, she's been taking care of him for ten years now......and I feel so guilty complaining about her complaining!

I actually remember thinking...'what a whiner!'  And now look at me.....it's not that we have it so bad.....Dad's still got most of his marbles.....but it's the constant ....constancy....the need to be consistent, yet upbeat, pay attention when you are mindnumbingly bored by the conversation which have you heard fifty times....or more.....the need to be paying attention to another person's needs.....and their wants....and understanding they wished it didn't have to be this way either....alert when you're you're brain is begging for sleep....able to laugh when all you want to do is...cry.....

(She laughs, turns to sit down, stops)


We still have Dad, and it's still a blessing......but I guess, the other blessing....is learning about those who care, and how hard it is.....and how glad I am I only have to do it for two days a week....for now.


 -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note -this is for my book - 30 Monologues Under 30 Seconds     
                                                                                           This monologue is for - female, older

This is the revised version under 30 seconds .  All the monologues for this book have been timed - but your performance will determine the length.  Usually between 30 seconds and one minute is acceptable for auditions preferring shorter monologues.  Use a stopwatch for good results - video for even better.  Good luck!  



                          Who's Whining Now? 

                                       For CAREGIVERS ANONYMOUS 
                                  A 30ish-second monologue by Janet S. Tiger         
                                             (c) June 20, 2016

            (Woman walks onstage, she takes the wheelchair)


(Sighs)  My sis was the only one left here to take care of Dad, and she was busy so I told her, fine, I'll help.

After all the years of hearing her complain .....I'll show her!  So now I get to be with Dad two days a week.....and...

I'm exhausted!  I had no idea taking care of someone .....took so much energy!  .. all we do is go to doctors and  I cook and clean a bit, and a little shopping.  

But my sis, she's been taking care of him for ten years now.....

I actually remember thinking...'what a whiner!'  And now look at me.....it's not that we have it so bad.........we still have Dad, and it's a blessing......but the other blessing....is learning about those who care, and how hard it is.....and how glad I am I only have to do it for two days a week....for now.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

--------------------------------------------------------------


Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty info. 
Y

No comments: