Saturday, June 1, 2019

Monologue Mania Day Untitled by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 1, 2019

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!

Today is Day #  June 1, 2019  To look at the other titles - click here

  first   year - Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015   - now in year 6 !      
            
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.

Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day   Untitled by Janet S. Tiger (c) June 1, 2019 
                   
A not so brief note upon returning to writing these monologues - 
I have been writing these monologues - and duologues and one-acts - daily for five years.  Through illness and changing domiciles and friends leaving and family members dying and all sorts of assorted events - I have tried to post every day.  Stopping was not an issue.

But death is a stopper.

So when my mother died, I found that continuing was just too hard.  Too many things on my head.  Too many tears.  Even though my mother had a good life - she died only two days shy of her 93rd birthday - there is a loss that cannot be equaled when you lose the person who ushered you into this world.

So we grieve.  I am lucky, so lucky!, to have such a wonderful family and collection of friends.

And I do not write much new.  Because this is so very personal, and I am stopped.  Perhaps it is because I am older than during previous trials, perhaps because tears gum up the creative process, but provide the material for future growth.  Perhaps I needed a break.  For whatever reason, these two months of not posting has allowed me a chance to heal a bit.  And so,  for all who read this, a great appreciation for the good wishes - they also help heal!

My last post was March 31, 2019, today is June 1st.  Two months.  I hope it was worth it!

The first piece back is untitled - if anyone has a suggestion, please pass it along.  Many thanks for all your support!
----------------------------------------


                                                          Untitled 
                                                 a monologue by Janet S. Tiger  (c) 2019 all rights reserved
                                                    tigerteam1@gmail.com
      

                         (Woman, older, walks with a cane or walker, annoyed)


It was my first Mother's Day

Big day for me

New mom and all that.

So what does he give me?

Jewelry?  Nah

Flowers?  Oh, no

Perfume, candy, a new purse?  Nah Nah Nah!

I got me a drain stopper!

You heard, a drain stopper!

And the worst part, it was all wrapped up all pretty and such.

I imagine the lady in the store musta laughed herself silly at home tellin all her people about it!

And the worst part is, it's my fault.  He was never good with gifts, so I told him to listen, maybe he'd hear what I needed.

Sure enough, he musta heard me say,ooh, the drain stopper was leaking in the tub, we needed a new one, and there he goes, gettin me a DRAIN STOPPER for my first Mother's Day!

What am I gonna do with this man?  I was bout ready to knock him in the head when he sees my face and says to me, baby, we gonna use that stopper right now
 in the tub so's you can have a bath!  Cause you need one, baby!

I give him a look and he steps back and says, 'not cause you smell, cause you could use a minute to yourself!'

And he runs me a bath, and puts in some bubbles I had for blowin for the baby, and it was a nice moment......

       (She moves, remembering the luxury of that moment)

And after a few minutes, I got lonely for him and the baby, and I had him come and sit with him holding the baby and keep me company. 

 He saw I was happy, and I told him, baby, you pulled that one outta the fire, didn't ya?  And he smiled and I told him, next time, stick with jewelry!

And we both laughed....and now every year on Mother's Day, even though the kids are all grown, he made me a bath.......except I can't get in easy anymore, so he got me one a those walk in kinds.  He apologized it wasn't jewelry, but I didn't care.....

I told him next year, he could do the jewelry......

The real worst part is........he died before the next year come around.  He just never wanted to get me jewelry!

But I got my own.....and this piece is the one the grandkids love the most....

   (She pulls out something from inside her blouse, it is on a chain)

You got it - I took that first drain stopper and made it into a necklace....

and I even had it engraved....

    (She holds it up and reads it)

Happy Mother's Day, to my favorite baby.......

     (She turns to leave, stops, looks back)

No! of course this is not the one he gave me, that one got thrown out years ago cause it was nasty!  No, I got me a new one! .heavens, who would save an old stopper?  Who would give a drain stopper.....except.....that man!  

     (She turns to exit, slowly, muttering to herself, then stops, looks at the stopper, gives it a kiss and exits.)


---------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8    

No comments: