Monday, March 11, 2019

Monologue Mania Day # 1841 My Mother's Underwear by Janet S. Tiger (c) for Mar. 11, 2019

Welcome to Monologue Mania- one new free* monologue a day- -and still going!

Today is Day # 1841    To look at the other titles - click here

  first   year - Feb. 13, 2014 - Feb. 12, 2015   - now in year 6 !      
            
I've continued with a monologue a day until the spirit moves me to stop - if you have any ideas for a monologue you want me to write, please let me know at tigerteam1@gmail.com.

Get  more great award-winning monologues - MonologueZone.com
If you'd like to write your own monologues, I happen to have a book for that -   
Thank you for your comments - and for liking and sharing this site on Facebook, Google - with friends.  Wishing you much success!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Monologue Mania Day #  1841 My Mother's Underwear  by Janet S. Tiger (c) for Mar. 11, 2019


                         My Mother's Underwear
   A monologue by Janet S. Tiger 
                       (c)  2019  all rights reserved                                                                               tigerteam1@gmail.com




(The actress comes out, holding a large shopping bag, which will be opened during the following to illustrate the story)

My mother loved giving gifts - and she enjoyed when the thought she put in was appreciated.  

After her death, we have received dozens of notes from people who had received her gifts and truly appreciated them - often still keeping them for years.  Wearing the clothing - scarves with a clock design the recipient loved because they enjoyed clocks.  Or the jewelry - an initial in a pretty style.  A tie with trains for a train lover, a teddy bear that was saved until it was ancient......playing cards from a special city.....a book by a favorite author....my mother had a knack for remembering details that she used well.  Not all the gifts were perfect - my siblings and I would laugh at the ones that fell short - but all of us used many of the items she gave us - still use them, now more fraught with meaning since her passing.

"I used that pen throughout college"..."I still wear the necklace"....."She was the only person who remembered my birthday..."....."When I graduated.....when I got married.....when I had the baby.....her generosity was limited only by time......you can't meet everyone or give everyone a gift, but she certainly tried.

Limited.  The tears come when I think the limit has been reached.  Death is the limit.

And I am having trouble realizing that her gifts to me will be no more - she would always be getting me earrings, and magazines, and searching out articles she thought I might like.  And now.....I will pretend the ones I saved are new.  

Plus, I get to wear her underwear.  Not what you might think - we donated her personal clothing to charity....but she bought tons of things on sale - shampoo, scarves, chocolate....and new underwear was just one of the bargain bounty.

If I was younger, the thought of wearing the size (not to be mentioned!) of the panties she bought would have been horrific.  But now, at my age.....they are perfect - all cotton, big enough to grow into as she would say!.....and in lovely bright colors - hot pink, lavender, greens and all shades of blue with flowers......just what I needed so that I can get rid of the ones I have that are filled with holes.  And I am no longer embarrassed about admitting that either.

So I will enjoy wearing my mother's underwear for years.   And remembering her every time I open a new pack......Rest in peace, Mom.......

           (Holds a pair of underwear to her cheek as she exits.  Not the end of a need for new undies!)
---------------------------------------

Note: A few words about 'free' -  all these monologues are protected under copyright law and are free to read, free to perform and video as long as no money is charged. Once you charge admission or a donation, or include my work in an anthology, you need to contact me for royalty 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315                CaregiversAnon.org
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983

Playwright-in-Residence

Swedenborg Hall 2006-8    





1 comment:

Jennifer Silva Redmond said...

We seldom appreciate the many lives touched by our parents. Thank goodness for the friends who let you know how their lives have been bettered!